Author Topic: Francis George. C.E.F.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline EVG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Francis George. C.E.F.
« on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I received a lot of help in tracking down my uncle Frank(Francis) George.  He went to Canada as a boy 1912c and later served in WW1.  He went on to serve in C.E.F. WW2.  I have a lot of paper work received from Canadian Library and Archives, including details of where and when he was serving.  From April 1940 it says Place U.K. where he appears to be until November 1940 where it says Place Fd.  Does this mean Field? In August 1941 it says again Place UK. until 1943 when he was killed in action. (Torpedoed)  The Archives sent me a photo of his grave in La Reunion cemetery,  Algeria.  These pages are hand written so not easy to read everything.  My question is, where in England would he have been stationed.  I'd be grateful for help in finding out.
Thank you.  Eileen.  p.s.  I should add that the reason we had problems finding him before was that he was serving under the name of Edward Lowe.  Goodness knows why?
Gorman. Clasby.  George.  Brooker.  Taylor. Snelgrove.  Evans. Bartlett.  Radburn, Pasby, Carter.
Wiltshire.  Hampshire.  London.  Pontypridd. Scotland

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Francis George. C.E.F.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen

You mention he was a boy in 1912. Was he under age and gave the false name Lowe so that he could enlist for WW1 service and thus the name followed him through his military career.

Sorry can't help with your places. If it was WW1 I would suggest the war diaries that are searchable on Library & Archives website. Probably best if you post this question on the Armed Forces Board.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hope you were more specific on the military board and mentioned
he died July 5 1943 and was with the "Royal Canadian Artillery"
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=40581&interval=20
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 05:33 BST (UK) »
If you have his service files from WW2, there should be info as to what regiments he was with the RCR. Everything will be abbreviated and LAC usually sends a list with the Abbr. and what they mean. Can you tell if he was injured from his paperwork.

During the Sicilian campaign, wounded men were evacuated to Algeria for treatment. No 15 Canadian General Hospital RCANC, El Arrouch, Algeria was one of the hospitals in August 1943. If he was torpedoed he was probably either on a troop ship or was wounded being transported to hospital.

www.junobeach.org/e/4/can-tac-med-org-e.htm

www.junobeach.org/main.html