Author Topic: Can anybody help with an 1851 Beds census look up  (Read 675 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can anybody help with an 1851 Beds census look up
« on: Monday 17 May 04 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anybody help me with an 1851 Beds census look up please.

I have a ref  H0107/1753. Clifton area.

What I am looking for is the birth place of Samuel Green at Clifton New Farm.

I am trying to tie him up to another Green who is my direct line.

Any help very gratefully accepted.

Diane

Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Can anybody help with an 1851 Beds census look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Do you mean the 1851 Census?

I thought we had established that Samuel Green of New Farm Clifton (1851 census) was born at Standford, Beds which is between Southill & Clifton. (See post of 7th May)

Re wills - have you tried the Public Record Office DocumentsOnLine site?

They have the following wills which may be of use to you. They may name brothers, cousins etc.

Jane Green widow of Clifton 1791
Mary Green widow of Clifton 1831
John Arch farmer of Clifton 1832
Elizabeth Warner spinster of Ampthill 1752
Daniel Warner Green, gentleman of Lower Gravenhurst 1793
Robert Green farmer of Southill 1834
Ann Green widow of Southill 1842

Cheers

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy,

Sorry you are right, I'm losing the plot.

I've been gathering info and found a few things on the IGI which I'm trying to see if there is a connection.

I've tracked most of the Green's around this time up to London, only a few seem to have stayed in Beds.

I'm getting the 1861 Beds census from Archive cd any day now.

Samuel is still in Beds with his 180 acres in 1871.

Birthplaces never seem to match on these Greens, My William is down as Clifton, Luton and London on several of the census entries I have for him.

I think the John and Sarah Green line of Meppershall is also a good bet for George's parents as they also have a Warner. I've seen that Meppershall is very close to Clifton.

I believe I found their marriage but it seems as though Sarah was also a Green!!..
I have the builders in at the moment its a little bit chaotic, but I will try and sit with everything and make a tree of what I have.

If you wouldn't mind checking the Ampthill registers to make sure that George didn't die before 1830 I would be grateful.

At least if he did that would rule that one out.

I must admit I'm beginning to think John and Sarah could be my main ones for George as two of his children were called John and Sarah.

On the IGI John and Sarah also had a Samuel but he was christened 1811 Meppershall, this wouldn't make the age right of Samuel at New Lodge Farm, unless he was chr at a very  much later date.

Thanks again Criggy, ;D

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Will check the Ampthill burials for you in the next week or two.

Keep searching!

criggy

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks

It's much appreciated.

Diane :)

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 May 04 08:56 BST (UK) »
1851 Census Index Meppershall - no Greens!

Looking good! Will check Ampthill next week.

Regards

criggy

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 May 04 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Criggy,

Much appreciated

Cheers Diane :)