Author Topic: Identification of Corps/Regt please  (Read 3654 times)

Offline cobb113

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of Corps/Regt please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 April 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
im wondering if thay were replacements for the issue ones i have seen a image of anothere unieform with leather buttons on it but it was a anzac uniform  of the same pereud
i with refrance to iban i am also a amiter mill historean also i do my rechurch and dubble check every thing.
i know i am not infalabul but i have spent sevral hours looking up this for the person consernd
Cobb somerset Wells devon

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 April 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the latest Cobb. I agree that the link you sent regarding the  Star Bossed propeller badge worn above 3 chevrons certainly looks the same as the one on my chap's arm.

If that is an ANZAC uniform, would my British sergeant be wearing it?

Sand

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Harry J Abbey enlisted in June 1916 and served in the RAF he will(should!!) have a record in the AIR series at Kew...Probably served RFC Prior to April 1918
No MIC as RAF ones arent online.His number was 33164.
Ive just managed to access some of the 1918 nominal rolls from Kew(Thanks to BMF)
http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/raf1918.html

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline cobb113

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
the RAF was not founded till 1 Apr 1918  by the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service

the problem is i can not see if there is any coller dogs ( badges on the coller) it may be worth poasting the images to the pic resteration forum and asking if any one can enhance the images better than i can with the softwair i have

as i think i can see some thing in the second image you poasted but i just can not make it out so at this point till we get an improved image we are stuck
but i will do more rechurch on his stationing as there were several training squdrens in egyept at that time

Regards

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 April 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady. What a wonderful find!  Yes, everything is making sense now. More and more pieces of the jigsaw are fitting together....

Very grateful.

Sand

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 April 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Cobb. Please see Ady's post above yours.  I think you were completely right and that he was in the RFC - Ady's post substantiates this.

Thanks for spending so much time on this. I do appreciated it.

Sand  :)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 April 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
There were indeed training squadrons in Egypt - I recall 7 Squadrons at 5 airfields, but why do we think he was at one of these?

There were also operational squadrons in Egypt, could he not have been at one of these?

I see nothing in the photo to suggest aircrew - he does indeed look to be a flight sergeant, but this could be in one of many trades - those propellers are unusual though, they do look 'broken' like flashes.

The change from RFC/RNAS to RAF occurred officially in April 1918, but visible changes did not happen so quickly - so the photo shouldnt automatically be taken to be prior to the change.

Regards

Pete

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 April 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pete, my mind is boggling with all this info... ::) ::) ::)

Sand

Offline cobb113

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 April 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
the one thing i have a slight problem with is the date you have sead beeing nov 1918 i personley think it is befor apral 1918 as after that date thay would have been in RAF uneforms but i need to do a lil more digging to confurm that it would not susprise me if thay did a lil swopseys or he was misishued equment but that therey is a littel out there lol