Author Topic: Pit disaster 1930  (Read 5123 times)

Offline delta59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pit disaster 1930
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
You are very kind and I hope I am not putting you to too much trouble.

I am waiting with anticipation.

If any of my other relatives are anything to go by there will be nothing there to see.  I am fed up of going to graveyards only to find a patch of grass and nothing else.  They were too poor to have a gravestone.

Once again many thanks.

Del
Latham - Leigh, Rivington
Hupton - Staffordshire, Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh
Meredith - Cefn Mawr, Tyldesley, Atherton
Strange - Westleigh
Wright - Pennington
Cawley & Hough & Hulse - Runcorn, Crewe
Bainbridge - Staffordshire & Durham
Peel - Upholland & St Helens
Hurst - Leigh
Duffy - Ireland
Poulton - Wales

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I was up at the Princeton Cemetery today, however, due to snow on the ground no graves could be seen.  I have done some research at the Princeton Archives though.  Below is what I found in the old newspapers after the mine disaster:
Cornelius Hupton was located in the #1 slope of the #4 Blakeburn mine.  "the men were lying, one after the other, along No. 1 slope, strewn like flies.  They had fallen in their tracks as they made for the surface.  It was the deadly afterdamp rather than the force of the explosion that killed these men.  They lay perfectly natural.  They did not suffer.  They were simply overcome by gas and dropped one by one." (Princeton Star August 21, 1930) 
In the same newspaper the following information came from the company office files:
"Cornelius Hupton, digger, English, age 22, married, two children.  Signed on September 30, 1929.  Widow Mrs. C. Hupton, 27 Mayfield St. Atherton."
Mr. Hupton's body was identified on Tuesday, August 19, 1930.  The mine disaster occurred on Wednesday, August 13, 1930.

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I have made a note in my calendar to go back to the Princeton Cemetery at the end of March (or when the snow is gone) to look for a headstone.  I'm sorry I couldn't be or more help right now, but I will get back to you after the snow is gone.

Offline delta59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info.  Although I never met him, my dad was only 2, I found it very sad.  He was in fact 27 when he died he was born in 1903.  Thank you so much for going to the cemetery, you are very kind.

I have been in touch with BC archives and they have found the inquest papers and also the probate papers.  I think I shall send for them although they are expensive.  I have been told however that the inquest papres will have to be passed.

The inquest is a document that will have to be reviewed by the Freedom of Information Manager, as it is not in the public domain in accordance  to FOIPIPPA legislation.
The record is a total 131 pages. If you decide to order a copy after it has been cleared it will amount to $75.45.

I look forward to the photograph.

Thank you again.

Del
Strange - Westleigh
Wright - Pennington
Hurst - Leigh
Duffy - Ireland
Poulton - Wales

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I doubt you would get much more information from the inquest papers.  The inquest failed to find any one cause.  It did rule out lightning but couldn't conclusively rule out dust, the sprayers or the runaway as possibilities. (I got this information from Terry Malanchuk's book)  Don Blake does have some information in his book.  I can email it to you if you send me your email address.  It is the report of the Chief Inspector of Mines, James Dickson. 

Offline delta59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. 

Do you know, I never thought to look in the book ::) I have it at home!!!  I expect it tells me much of what the inquest papers will tell me.  The other papers I have asked them to look for are the probate papers relating to Cornelius which works out much cheaper. 

I shall dig out the book and write up info from that to put in my file on Cornelius.  Have you any idea what info would be recorded in the probate papers?
Strange - Westleigh
Wright - Pennington
Hurst - Leigh
Duffy - Ireland
Poulton - Wales

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
The probate papers normally include what the estate consisted of and how they were disposed.... Since he was married, the most likely disposition would have been to his wife....

Offline delta59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, think I will send for it anyway.  I look forward to the photo.  Many thanks for all your help.

Strange - Westleigh
Wright - Pennington
Hurst - Leigh
Duffy - Ireland
Poulton - Wales

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 April 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
The snow is gone and we were able to get a couple of photos of the Blakeburn Disaster grave in Princeton, B.C.  Cornelius Hupton does not have a headstone.  Attached is a photo of the memorial stone for all of the men who lost their lives in the mining accident and a photo of the site which shows the metal markers on the graves.  The markers used to have paper inserts with the men's names, however, over the years, those papers have disappeared.  If there is anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.