Author Topic: Barron's of Alves, Morayshire  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Barron's of Alves, Morayshire
« on: Wednesday 14 April 10 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
have come to a few dead ends with finding information for my GGG grandparents and their family.

James Barron (Occ: Gamekeeper) and Janet Grant (both deceased by 1864) were married 12 Mar 1820 Alves, Morayshire (source: Banns parish record).

I know they have two sons:
James Barron born 5 Feb 1823 Alves, Morayshire  d. 25 Nov 1864 Occ: Coach Driver/Hotel Keeper
William Barron born 3 Mar 1827  Rafford, Morayshire Occ: Coach Driver of Arberlour, Inverness

My gg grandfather James (1823) committed suicide by shooting himself. I purchased his death cert and place of death was the Commercial Hotel, Inverness. This is where I found his parents names.

James left widow Mary (nee McDonald of Dores, Inverness) and 6 children (all born Morayshire except John):
Jessie Barron b. 1845    m. Alexander McPherson 1866 Glasgow one dau: Elizabeth Ann b. Dec 1870 Inverness
Alexander Barron b. 1853   m.1  Martha McMillan + 6 children  m. 2 Janet Low + 2 sons  d. Jul 1911 Glasgow
James Barron b. 1855
William Barron b. 1857
John Barron b. 1862  Cromdale, Advie Inverness d. poss before 1871?
Duncan Barron b. 1864

I was wondering if anyone might know the birth/death dates for James Barron Snr and wife Janet Grant. And their parents??

I have tried Scotlandspeople but it's hard not knowing rough dates or places of birth.
IGI also comes up with grey areas.

My great grandparents Alexander Barron and Janet Low are well researched. But I would love more detail about the Barron's who came from Morayshire.

I have also tried www.ambaile.org.uk so just need a few more facts to move forward.
Hope someone out there knows this family.

Cheers, Janine
QLD Australia
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barron's of Alves, Morayshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 Census James Barron, Gamekeeper, Burgie, Rafford was born about 1795 in Dallas, Morayshire and Janet was born about 1793 in Edinkillie, Morayshire.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

just to add to what GW has found -
scotlandspeople website has janet barron(other surname grant) death 1864
rafford moray born c1793

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi 'ghost whisperer' and 'ev',

thanks for your help. I had almost forgotten about this post! With your help I have purchased the death certs for James Barron (game keeper) and Janet Barron (nee Grant).

I now know James parents are Robert Barron (Farmer) and Barbara Chrystie.

and Janets parents are Donald Grant (tailor) and Isabell Shaw.

It's so sad, as both mum/dad died within 4 months of one another, then son James committed suicide in Nov the same year. Poor William (their son and brother) had to bury 3 family members in one year!

Thanks for your help. VERY much appreciated. I can now keep looking for more family.....
Cheers, Janine

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 22 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi rootschatters and visitors,
I am just updating this thread because I am still stuck with my Barron lineage. Despite several avenues of research, even trying to contact Morayshire council direct [albeit during the Covid lockdowns of 2020], I am still nowhere farther back than my ancestors Robert Barron and Barbara Chrystie.

Scotlandspeople has proved useless so far as well. Robert Barron was a farmer in a place called "Tore" in Rafford. This information was extracted from his wifes death records on a Morayshire parish records website.
 "Barbra Chrystie relict of Robt Barron of Tore, age 77". Barbara was buried 11 April 1821 in Rafford.
Presumably Robert also died in this area?  But nothing has come up in record searches, even using variations of name spellings etc.

I am therefore keeping this thread open, in the hopes other BARRON family members searching this line will come across it, and be able to help me fill in some blanks.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople has proved useless so far as well.
I don't understand that because their marriage and the baptisms of numerous children, and Barbara's burial, are all on Scotland's People.

See the attached screenshots.

Robert Barron was a farmer in a place called "Tore" in Rafford.
See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=57.57344&lon=-3.51321&layers=5&b=1

The buildings at Tore have now been replaced by a modern house
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2955897

This information was extracted from his wifes death records on a Morayshire parish records website.
It is strongly recommended that when citing a record you always give the exact name of the parish, and exactly where you found the information.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758930.0
I suppose you found it on the Moray Council LIBINDX? - see screenshot.

In this case Scotland's People (which holds the original document) says it was in the parish of Rafford. See screenshot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
thanks for your contribution....I guess my wording needed to be clearer, but I was specifically searching for more personal details of Robert and Barbara themselves, ie, births (and therefore their parentage) and also a death record for Robert. I had their marriage and children already. Scotlandspeople has not unearthed a death for Robert, nor birth information for either.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in citing the record of Barbaras death, but we're all human and have memory lapses.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
In that case you can be 99.99% certain that no record survives of the death of Robert Barron.

Don't blame Scotland's People or Moray Council. They have put online all the records available to them of baptisms, banns and burials before 1855. If no record was ever made, or if a record was made and subsequently lost, the information simply does not exist and cannot be made available.

I assume that, as you have had all this information for so long, you have viewed all the original documents, for example to see whether or not the baptisms contain the names of witnesses who may provide clues to earlier generations, or to see if the burial record says anything about whose lair Barbara was buried in.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.