Author Topic: Catherine HACKLER b. 1849 Germany - Looking for shipping records to Australia  (Read 5212 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine HACKLER b. 1849 Germany - Looking for shipping records to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 April 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dustyrover,

Checked all my German immigration resouces I have & can see nothing for a Catherine Hackler (or similar) within them.

I asked if the marriage certificate says she is from Germany?

Do you have this information?

Offline mazlyt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine HACKLER b. 1849 Germany - Looking for shipping records to Australia
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 10 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Dustyrover, I am a direct descendant of Catherine Hackler (Maria Dorothea 'Catherine' Flegler). Like you I had exactly the same information from the NSW BDM (marriages) where she is named Hackler, until earlier this year when I visited the Cooma Historical Society. George Scott and Catherine Flegler are my GG grandparents. George S was born in Perthshire Scotland and Maria Dorothea 'Catherine' Flegler was born in Bettingen Germany. George and Catherine were married at the residence of William Stevens (just outside of Cooma), also my GG grandfather. Eventually a son of George and Catherine (James) married the daughter of William Stevens  (Ellen) - I am a direct descendant of James and Ellen. Maria Dorothea 'Catherine' Flegler emigrated from Germany aboard the 'Catteaux Wattel' in 1855 as a child, her parents were Johann Georg Flegler born Bettingen Germany and her mother Anna Maria Diehm born Urphur Germany. Catherine Scott died at 2a Moore St Leichhardt and is buried at Rookwood; George Scott died at 21 Ilka St Leichhardt. I have heaps of information, would be interested in knowing how you fit into the family. Having a name Dustyrover, I gather you are Australian as I am.

Offline mazlyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 October 10 07:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry Dustyrover, I did not explain how Hackler became Flegler and later Flakelar.  I can only think somehow someone recorded the name incorrectly, as documents prior to George and Catherine's marriage have the name correctly recorded. On arrival in Sydney Johann Georg Flegler was sponsored by James McArthur, the son of John and Elizabeth Macarthur - he was employed at Camden Park before moving on to the Cooma area.  The name evolved to 'Flakelar' with the marriage of John Georg Fleglar when he married Elizabeth O'Neill in 1871.  So those by the name Fleglar (and all its variations: Flagler, Flegler, Hackler etc) and those by the name Flakelar are all related.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 October 10 07:48 BST (UK) »

1875 NSW PO Directory (Greville)

Flakeler Christopher, shepard, Rose Valley
Flakeler George, stockman, Rose Valley
Flakeler John, stockman, Rose Valley

Rose Valley is near Cooma NSW.

Gerry.

Offline dustyrover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 October 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I will send you a private message. We are related.
Dustyrover

Offline raven8688

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine HACKLER b. 1849 Germany - Looking for shipping records to Australi
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hey I am too a descendant of the fleglars that migrated to Sydney. We found their names on the welcome wall in darling harbour and my mum told me bout how the fleglars changed their name to flakelar so they wouldn't be known as Germans because it was around the time of the war

Offline dustyrover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Raven 8688

What great news to find another relative.I will send you a personal message.
Dustyrover

Offline mazlyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Raven

I will try and send a personal message re Flakelars - I am new to this!

Offline hermit000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Catherine HACKLER b. 1849 Germany - Looking for Information about
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 March 11 07:28 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendent of Catherine FLEGLER (or Flakelar) and George Scott.

My father is Thomas Patrick Scott and his father is Martin Scott who is a son of Catherine b 1849 and George Scott b 1846.

Thomas Patrick Scott has three children Moira, Anne and Paul all living in NSW Australia

My late father had one sister who is Ann Veronica McGinley (nee Scott). She is alive and well and turns 100 in April 2011.

Any information you can give me about  the history of the Flakelar and Scott families would be appreciated

Paul Thomas Scott  - Born 1947