Author Topic: Old Caergeiliog, near Holyhead  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Caergeiliog, near Holyhead
« on: Friday 16 April 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
My mother's maternal grandparents, John and Jane Edwards, were recorded in the 1901 census as living at Hen Ysgol (Old School) in Caergeiliog, near Valley.  Does anyone know where it was located? 
My mother remembers that she used to visit the family in Caergeiliog in the late 1920s/1930s; their house was apparently situated on the south side of the main road about halfway through the village.  I have no idea if that would have been Hen Ysgol or not.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Old Caergeiliog, near Holyhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
I just had to answer you although I am not sure that I can be much help.

In the late 1970's early 1980's we were stationed at RAF Valley and our youngest daughter went to Caergeiliog school. 

I can tell you it was within walking distance of the RAF Base.

I wonder if you could google Map/Street Walk it.

Tressle

Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tressle
Very kind of you to get back to me so quickly.  I have studied the village on Google Maps, and I visited Caergeiliog in February for the first time in my life so it was very interesting to see how my great-grandparents must have lived.  My wife and I were both taken with the scenery - it's a beautiful area.  We're going back to Holyhead in May/June to do more family research and looking forward to it very much.
The school your daughter attended is undoubtedly a more modern one than Hen Ysgol.  Sadly, I expect the old school doesn't exist any more, but it would be nice to know exactly where it was.  My mother has very fond memories of the house she used to visit.
I hope you enjoyed your tour at RAF Valley.  I was in the Army and spent most of my time in Germany and Cyprus.  In retirement, I'm now discovering the UK!
Amlodhi

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hen ysgol caergeiliog is now a sheltered accomodation for the elderly go on googlemap locate the pub and look opposite and you can see the estate the google camera car has been there so you can see it yourself
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that - found it right away!

Offline Macs6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to this site, but needed to find out if you have found the right Hen Ysgol in Caergeiliog. I live in Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn (RAF Valley) and grew up here. There is an old lane between Raf Valley and Caergeiliog. In the dip before you get to the new school there is the old school and school house on your left, next to a stream and the old hall ( small cottage) on your right.
The old school and school house was derelict up until about 5 years ago when someone bought it and did them both up, Excellent Job has been done and they have nearly finished them both now. I drive past it twice a day!(I did look at buying it as well). The new school has a photo of it in their office of what it looked like with children and teachers sat on the wall.
The old hall got demolished about 5 months ago. I could ask in school if you need more info on teachers names etc. hope this helps a bit.

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi back!
Don't worry - I'm still relatively new to the site as well.
I've followed your directions as best I can and have found on Street View an old house on the LH side of the road heading from Llanfihangel to Caergeiliog - in the picture it has industrial fencing around it and scaffolding against a part of it.  Is that the place?  It certainly looks as if it is being done up.
The problem is that I don't know if, in 1901, Hen Ysgol was a reporting centre for that area or the actual place where the family lived. In comparison, I know that the family was living at Penybore in 1911, and that my g-grandfather John Edwards died at Pen Y Bonc in 1921.  Not sure about those places either!
I'm hoping to return to Anglesey in the Autumn so maybe I can pursue it more then.  Thanks very much for your help in the meantime - if you can think of anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch.
Cheers
Amlodhi

Offline Macs6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Amlodhi,
Glad your new too, makes me feel better!!
Ok, The house with the fencing is spot on.....I think he put it up to stop the dogs getting run over cos it is an extremely busy road on school run times.
Have you try ed Bings site for an up to date 3d view, they were round last month and their street views are better I've found.
The family who have bought it over 5 years ago have turned it into a lovely place, keeping the original features on the outside.
I will speak to the head of Caergeiliog school tomorrow and ask him what he knows, he may know who it was who ran the school there cos I know he has a photo and I will try and take a photo of the photo, if that makes sense. I love that house and old school. Do you know the occupation of John and Jane?
Will get back to you tomorrow if I get any info, got all your details....

Take care

Macs6

Offline Macs6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi me again,
Just been on Google...type in LL65 3YF and you will see a semi called Pen-y-Bonc. It is on main road just down from the junction to Caergeiliog school, hope this helps,
School must have been where they registered, will check though, no sign of Pen-y-Bore, think this is another house name in Caergeiliog, may have gone or been changed......

Take care
Macs6