Author Topic: Old Caergeiliog, near Holyhead  (Read 13037 times)

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Caergeiliog, near Holyhead
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 July 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Macs6
What a guess!  Great- thanks for the confirmation.  Anything else you can find out about it from the modern school would be greatly appreciated.
I didn't mention that I was actually in Anglesey at the end of May - we had a look around Caergeiliog but failed to go down the road to Llanfihangel - not that we'd have recognised Hen Ysgol anyway.  But have to agree with you that it is a lovely old building.
I also found the Pen-Y-Bonc house on Google Earth/Street View - I wondered if it was the same house as in 1921 - it looks old enough. 
No sign or any mention anywhere of Pen-Y-Bore, though.
John Edwards was a sailor on the 1901 census, and thereafter a farm labourer; he was born in Llanynghenedl in 1862.  Jane Jones came from Bodedern.  They married in Llanfaethlu in July 1893. Their children included Margaret (born October 1893), Sarah (December 1896 - my grandmother), Mary (July 1901) and Owen (July 1907).  Margaret married a John Bouch Jones in Holyhead in 1919 and Sarah married John Rich (a Holyhead guy) in 1922 in Liverpool - their daughter Jean was my mother.  Owen married a Laura Williams and had a daughter Glenda born c1944 who apparently went to the USA to be a nurse.  He was a solicitor in Holyhead when his sister Sarah died in 1973 - he handled my mother's inheritance.
I often wonder if any descendants of the original family still live in Caergeiliog.  Perhaps I can try to find out on my next visit, hopefully in the Autumn.
Thanks again for all your help so far - I'll be waiting for anything else on the school.
Cheers
Amlodhi

Offline Macs6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 July 10 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Amlodhi,
Went to the school today but the head was in a meeting, took a photo of the photo, but as you can see it wasn't called Hen Ysgol. Apparently, talking to a friend today there was three schools, 2 were run by churches. There is that Hen Ysgod opposite the pub and another old building which was a school some where in the village, apparently still there. She said she would try and find out more info from her grand parent who lives in the village. will give her your info and see what she can find. Sorry I  can't be more helpfull at the mo, will keep asking around.
I can't find the Pen-y-Bore address either, sounds quite Irish," Top of the morning" in English translation, I thought that was funny....

Going to try and attach photo now, hope it works......
Speak again

Mac6

Offline Heulwen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 August 10 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, I think I may know the house you are talking about.  It's on the lane that leads from Caegeiliog to the RAF houses.

My family were in the next property, Caerpwll.  My Mum was born in 1923, and lived there until she was 30.  We spent every summer there up until about 15 years ago when we sadly had to sell because my Aunt who was resident there died.

I have asked Mum about it but she says that she only remembers the Parry family who were there.  I was in that house many times, we were friends of the Parry family.  Somewhere I have photos which show the house, if you want I can get them to you.

Heulwen

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there - sounds interesting. 
I've visited Caergeiliog a couple of times, but I'm not that familiar with the place.  Where exactly are the RAF houses? Mac6 identified Hen Ysgol as being on the road from Caergeiliog to Llangihangel - is that the lane you're talking about?
The Edwards family was living at Hen Ysgol in the 1901 census, but by 1911 they'd left and were living at Penybore (no idea where that place was either!). So your Mum would certainly not remember them there.
My Mum, Jean Rich - born 1922, spent her holidays with Granny Edwards from about 1926 until around 1937 when Granny died.  Granny Edwards' house then was on the left-hand side of the main road, facing towards Holyhead, a bit down from the old Toll house.  So your Mum may remember Granny Edwards during those years.  It'd be interesting to know what she can remember.
Hope to hear more from you soon.

Offline glen o

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 August 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
hi my naine lived near there must have gone the she was born 1910 name lizzy wiliams  her sibblings were albert beatrica florance williams around same times cheers glenys owen :)
owen and  williams   anglesey          brooks lancs  sporston cheshire

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - thanks for this.  It's such a pity we all now realise what we should have asked our grandparents years ago.  Too little thought by us when they were still alive, and too late now!  C'est la vie!

Offline Amlodhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 September 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
A little more information - Heulwen may be interested - I have just found out from the Anglesey Record Office that my g-grandmother Jane Edwards actually died in Hen Ysgol in January 1935 - she was apparently 64 at the time.  Does that jog any memories in older folk?