Author Topic: WALSH/KEEGAN.... CROSSABEG area.  (Read 8654 times)

Offline AnneRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WALSH/KEEGAN.... CROSSABEG area.
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my Family Tree for some time now and have just discovered this wonderful site.

I wounder if anyone out there has any information on either the Walsh Family or Keegan Family from the Crossabeg area of Co. Wexford.

Looking forward to hearing from someone Please God.

Anne
Walsh, Keegan, Ryan, Kirwan. WEXFORD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH/KEEGAN.... CROSSABEG area.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. You'll need to give us an idea of names, dates, etc. what sources you've already checked and what you are hoping to find.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AnneRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.

My Grandfather was Thomas Walsh born in 1880, son of James Walsh and Margaret Pender.

My Grandmother was Annie Keegan born 1886, daughter of John Keegan and Mary Sinnott.

I am trying to trace what siblings John Keegan had and who their parents were.

I have tried the local Catholic Church in Crossabeg but found nothing.

I read somewhere that the Parish of Crossabeg was made up of other parishes back then and wonder where the records of these would be?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Anne

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
I dont know if you've already checked, but records for the RC parish of Crossabeg are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilm Pos. 4251. The parish is listed on the NLI index as Crossabeg and  Ballymurrin, and the corresponding film only seems to include baptisms, and from 1856 to about 1880

There's a map of the RC parishes in Co. Wexford on the Irish Times website which might help locate other nearby parishes : Wexford, RC Parishes The parish links on the website show the sources, but in general most of the surviving RC records are available on microfilm in the NLI.

Given the dates involved it should be possible to find the two marriages you mentioned (James Walsh/Margaret Pender & John Keegan and Mary Sinnott) on the civil index to locate certs for these to track further details.

see also : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline keegs10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I have been trying to find family of my great grandparents who migrated to New Zealand in 1875. They were Patrick and Ann(n. Sinnott) Keegan. It often happened that several members of one family married members of another family, siblings married siblings. I wonder if there is a possibility that we have a common ancestor and would be interested in any feedback. My great grandparents had children who were baptised in Kilmuckridge and Gorey and also lived in Courtdown Harbour before embarking for New Zealand. Patrick Keegan was born in 1837 and Anne Sinnott in 1839. Both died in NZ. Patrick had a sister Ellen who married John Connor and migrated to NZ earlier than 1875.

Regards - Peter

Offline AnneRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Good to hear from you. I have been researching my family tree for some time now and I had just logged on this morning to search the 1901 Irish Census - which has just recently been available on-line and there was your e-mail.
Fate??? Not sure....
However,  I have been trying to trace one of my Ancestors who emigrated to the USA and served under General Custer and never returned to Ireland.
I am not sure if we are related as your mentioned Courtown/Gorey which are North Wexford and my people are from South Wexford.

I wish you all the best with your search and would love to know if we are related from way way back.

Anne

Offline keegs10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 July 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

My great grandparents family had been moving north in Wexford, as I said some of the children were born in Kilmuckridge, further south, and My great grandmother worked at what has been described as Wexford Castle, presumably around the town of Wexford. So there may still be a link. I wonder where the Sinnotts originated from?

With regard Michael Keegan who served with Custer, try this link. He may be the relative you are looking for. http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-54855001.html Michael Keegan was the only of Custers men who survived Little Big Horn as he was apparently looking after the horses on the other side of the hill - follow the link and read more. You will also get a lot of hits by entering Michael Keegan Custer

PeterK

Offline trying hard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I have been trying to find family of my great grandparents who migrated to New Zealand in 1875. They were Patrick and Ann(n. Sinnott) Keegan. It often happened that several members of one family married members of another family, siblings married siblings. I wonder if there is a possibility that we have a common ancestor and would be interested in any feedback. My great grandparents had children who were baptised in Kilmuckridge and Gorey and also lived in Courtdown Harbour before embarking for New Zealand. Patrick Keegan was born in 1837 and Anne Sinnott in 1839. Both died in NZ. Patrick had a sister Ellen who married John Connor and migrated to NZ earlier than 1875.

Regards - Peter

I am doing my family tree also and i am looking for relatives of my grandmother julia dunne ( mother elizabeth rossitor) i found her parents marriage in Litter parish Church .  while there i found birth record 1869 for ? i couldnt understand the writing so i dont know if it was male or female, but the parents were Patrick keegan and Anne Sinnott. Possibly your relatives.  Hope this is of some help to you.

Offline keegs10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 July 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that little piece of information. The family at the time were living in Kilmuckridge which is just down the road from Litter Beg (I assume from Google Maps that is what you referred to as Litter) My great uncle William was born in 1969 and I guess it is his birth record. One of the difficulties with finding information in Ireland from a distance is knowing where to find them as so many historical records have been destroyed in fires etc. So thank your for that. Regards PeterK