Author Topic: census help  (Read 3158 times)

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • I will get to the bottom of this!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
census help
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
hi i'm needing a bit of help finding my great grandmother on the census records. i last found her on the 1891 census in atherton, lancashire then after that i can't seem to find her. there is an address in 1892 for the birth of her first child but she has moved on after as the baby died early the following year and is recorded as being in the sub district of trinity, district of preston, county of lancashire. her husband was an american from north carolina according to the census of 1891 and family stories have him as american too. my grandad was born in 1906 in berwick upon tweed and is recorded on the 1911 census as a visitor without his mother and according to some info from my mum's cousin she was in belgium in 1907 in a 'musical' capacity. any help trying to find out where she was would be greatly appreciated 
Stewart, Barlow, Booth, Cooke, Daniels, Thornhill

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: census help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.    Happy to help, but can you give us a bit more information?

We need her name, her date of birth or as near to it as you know, plus have you any idea where she was born?   The name of her husband, plus any info on him, and the name and details of your grandfather?

Not really possible to help you without any names...
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 10 14:36 BST (UK) »
hi
her name was emma stewart nee daniels born 1873 in sutton oak, st helen's, lancashire. her husband was called major stewart born according to the census in 1865 in NC occupation of herbalist assistant. marriage was 29 jan 1890. my grandad was called berwick virgil stewart born 6 nov 1906 in berwick upon tweed.
emma's husband major has been a bit of an elusive character and also we thought his name was john but did have a photo which was said to be my grandad's 'uncle major' originally then later he was told it was his father.
emma was supposed to be known as amy stewart on the stage and has the occupation of vocalist on my grandad's birth cert but also played the mandolin. the production she was in was called 'a trip to coontown' which was produced by will garland and the negro operetta from 1906.
sorry about the lack of info originally, i'm a bit new to this :)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
This is 1891, it may help with tracing the family in earlier censuses -

James Jarvis Wiggins About 55 Herbalist Virgina USA (British Subj)
Emma 52 Lancashire St Helens
Emma Stewart step daughter 19 Lancashire Sutton Oak
Major Stewart son in law 26 Herbalists Assistant North Carolina (USA) British Subj

Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
hi thanks for that but thats the one i've got. i can find emma and her family previous to that but not her husband. i can't find what became of them after this census either but major was said to have died not long before my grandad was born so that only leaves the 1901 census if its right. my grandad is listed as in north bierley, yorkshire on the 1911 census and his half sister's birth comes under this registration district also in 1912 .
thanks for looking  :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 April 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found a possible in 1901:
It's in Tewkesbury in Gloucester, but if they were performers they would have travelled around:

John Stewart, age 30.  Groom, (not domestic)
Emily Stewart, 28, Actress.
I know she is Emma, not Emily, but that is quite a coincidence.
The entry also says they were both born in America, but that could be a simple error on the part of whoever gave the information.   Both were boarders, along with others and at least one more of them is an Actress as well.

Take at look at Class: RG13; Piece: 2467; Folio: 102; Page: 19.

It's in the parish of Holy Trinity, Tewkesbury, or if you search John Stewart age 30 born US it should come up on most search sites.

Can't guarantee they are yours, but take a look and see what you think.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
hi
this is a good possibility. we thought she was just a vocalist until mum's cousin came up with the info about the production she took part in, so actress could very well fit the bill. wonder if i could find out if there was anything at that time with black performers in that area ???
thanks for looking it up :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Kazzy, this is such a co-incidence.   There's probably no link, but this morning there is a new posting on the England General board, asking for help tracing a man who was from Africa, and was both a Music Hall artist and a Herbalist.
I've no idea if the two occupations normally went together, that certainly didn't seem obvious to me, but since you are trying to track a group of performers around the UK at around the same time, you might want to look a this thread - you never know..

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=451080.msg3130815;topicseen#msg3130815

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
thanks maggie
i agree it is a bit of an unusual combination of careers! i think maybe major was working for his step father in law who had 3 herbalist shops around st helen's, tyldesley and atherton. i have been fortunate to have been sent a publication about the father in law james jarvis wiggins (or benjamin wiggens according to the marriage) but he never mentions names or dates which is a bit frustrating. i'll definately look into the link as it is a bit of a coincidence. maybe something or maybe nothing. time will tell  :)
thanks again