Author Topic: census help  (Read 3157 times)

Offline trouser34

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: census help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 September 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi kazzy77,

I came across this thread quite by accident, but I'm excited to see that your relative has a connection to Will Garland's "A Trip to Coontown."  I'm a historian researching black entertainers who toured Germany, and I wonder if you by any chance have any more details on Emma's performing career. 

Offline kazzy77

• RootsChat Extra
  • I will get to the bottom of this!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there
My great grandmother was in a trip to coontown in 1907 as a family member has a postcard she sent from Belgium and some posters luggage tags etc that tie it all together. The only one I could find that was running that production at that time was will garland and his negro operetta and the article I read confirmed he did it in Belgium. My great grandmother Emma was known as Amy Stewart on stage apparently and travelled around England singing but it wasn't until I spoke with a family member that I found she travelled out of the country too. her  first husband was called major Stewart who I've been told was a concert pianist and his parents were in a dance troupe that travelled from Philadelphia. They were supposed to have had the surname of major but changed it to the surname of the leader of the troupe. I've not been able to prove or disprove about him and his parents but my mum told me there was a tv documentary many years ago about the troupe they were in.
Emma Stewart nee Daniels was born in Sutton oak in Lancashire abt 1874 and major was born in NC abt 1865. Hope this helps
Stewart, Barlow, Booth, Cooke, Daniels, Thornhill

Offline Diddler1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name's Diane Yates I'm from Sutton oak and George was my g g grandandad my great grandfather was samuelYates s and I have grown n resided where George had and raised my great grandfather.,.the herbalist your talking of is Benjamin and there is a story.of Catherine raising him I've read....Benjamin had his first (don't quote me tho) in Leigh hindley Wigan way.... And I'm tryin to find out from my parents... Stanley and elona Yates who the distant family link was that use to visit our family home/farm from time to time as they was from that way..... Please get in touch regards