Author Topic: I.O.M.Births  (Read 2787 times)

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I.O.M.Births
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hello.Could someone confirm for me the Birth of Charles Cottle born 1848.son of Edward Cottle & Margaret Gelling born I.O.M.
they moved to Liverpool but dont know when.Edward Cottle (father)died Toxteth 1878 so came to Liverpool between 1848-1878.
thank you.Ted.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I.O.M.Births
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
There is something strange - the IGI has an extracted record (usually these are quite reliable) for a baptism St Mathews  14 May 1848   
 but in the burial index(www.iomfhs.im) there is a Charles Cottle (not exactly a common name on Island) buried age 2months Braddan 15 Feb 1850 - I wonder if burial should be age 20months ? - you can post a query on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes; as a couple of posters there have a full set of the transcribed burial registers  to see if there was an error in the index (I don't have these years for Braddan) - the baptismal record can be checked by borrowing the mormon film.
Charles is not with family in 1851 - the family are still there in 1861
should have added - there are no civil registration of births pre 1878 - you could try for a BMD entry in local paper (luckily these are indexed up to c.1864 so easy to check when you get to Manx Museum - card index at the end of the room)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I.O.M.Births
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
Frances_mnb.Thank you for your reply.I shuld have said I'm not in the I.O.M.So can't go to see the records.Thank all the same.Ted