Author Topic: MEALEY of Ballinrobe  (Read 3274 times)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
MEALEY of Ballinrobe
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for any information on a John Mealey. According to one of the UK census returns, he was born in Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo around 1830. His wife is named as Catherine, born c. 1831 but the location is never stated other than "Ireland".

They lived in and around Everton, and had at least 4 children, all born in Everton or Liverpool:

Mary Ann, 1862
William, 1871
Thomas, 1874
Edward Walter G, 1875

If anybody can help in tracing the Mealey family back any further then I would be grateful!

Many thanks,

Dominic
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: MEALEY of Ballinrobe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 (non Catholic marriages from 1845) so there will be no civil records for John or Catherine.  see the topic 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records .

For earlier records you will need to research church records, and you will need to establish the family religion, as well as the name of the Parish they lived in. Some Mayo parish records (as transcripts) are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

It may be difficult to find further information on John and Catherine without more clues... did they marry in England ?... if so their father's names (and occupation) from their marriage cert might help.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your quick response!

I had made the rather simple assumption that they had married in Ireland and travelled to Liverpool together. However, I have subsequently found a possible marriage in Liverpool in 1850 and will order the certificate.

I'll also take a look at the Irish Family History Foundation website.

I'll no doubt be back with more information once I have the certificate (if, indeed, it is the correct one).

Many thanks,

Dominic
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
It might also be worth ordering a birth cert for one of the children to find out Catherine's maiden name, if you dont already know that.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests