Author Topic: family ties you can choose your freinds!!  (Read 954 times)

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
family ties you can choose your freinds!!
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
while searching through my family history and my wife's as well,i keep coming across how we are tied together through time, going right back to our g/g-parents, both lived in the same street in Guernsey, both offspring moved to the mainland to not only the same city but to the street next to one another, and when my wife and i were growing up our families lived very near to one another, but we never met,and you can imagine my surprise when we were first going out with one another to find out she was my best friend's girlfriend's aunt, and after we were married to discover that my new bride was my cousins husbands uncles ex wife!!!! talk about a small planet, well that's my six degrees of separation has anyone else come across this, or is it just me??
hants, hart, hornsby, wilson, west.skinner
dorset, wilson.
guernsey, hart, butt, roper, de cateret, le mesuirer.
london, harris, west, butt, hornsby.
england in general, scammel
australia, butt. sainsbury hants, kent, sawyer, perry, cook,

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: family ties you can choose your freinds!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, myself and OH both had ancestors in Great Ayton in the early 19th century, both families moving to Stockton on Tees before their paths diverged. We also both had other branches in Darlington up until the mid 1850s and more recently my dad worked with OHs great uncle when we lived in the North West of England. We aren't the first marriage between the families either, another of OHs great uncles married a distant cousin of mine (2xgreat grandmothers great niece).
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
thank you angelfish58, its good to know its not just me, (was getting a bit worried) ha ha. they do say that you pick your partner in life because they are similar, maybe its really you can see some of your own family in them, but by the sound of things they are more than likely already related to you if only distant, bit scary though, bit like being cloned.. but as the saying goes "you can pick your freinds but you cant pick your family" its because they are one and the same..   regards dafpilot
hants, hart, hornsby, wilson, west.skinner
dorset, wilson.
guernsey, hart, butt, roper, de cateret, le mesuirer.
london, harris, west, butt, hornsby.
england in general, scammel
australia, butt. sainsbury hants, kent, sawyer, perry, cook,

Offline Sandgroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
I've recently discovered that my daughter's boyfriend (of 7 years) great grandfather and my great grandfather farmed the same block of land in a very small West Australian town seventy years ago. It was group settlement and families were assigned blocks to clear in order to dairy farm. They would have known each other very well. I have a photo of a plaque which was placed to commemorate their ternacity and next to each other are our families names.

My daughter and boyfriend met in a city with a population of 1.5 million!
Werrett, Dando, Harris, Osborne - Westerleigh, GLS
Singleton, Rossall, Hall, Braithwaite - Marton, LAN
Clegg, Carter, Bowes, Fewster - DUR
Codling, Cook - Ovingham, NBL