Author Topic: Francis Playford 1851/1861/1871/1891 census  (Read 1688 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Playford 1851/1861/1871/1891 census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 April 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your hard work, I just could not find them.

What an interesting family, I am doing this tree for a friend (as you do). She has photographs of all this family in the 1800's  playing tennis at the family home, boating on the river, posing with their horses, it is like another world.

Francis & his brother Herbert H. Playford were founder members of the Thames Rowing Club. Francis and his son Walter wrote books on how to invest money. Another member of the family married into the Wakley family who started the Lancet. It is a dream, I just do not know where to start first.

I am sure I will be back for more help before I am finished.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 April 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
It sounds fascinating. I'd love to have a really interesting family to get my teeth into.

Playford is a name very much associated with seventeenth century dances. John Playford, born in Norwich was a publisher and bookseller, in London, who published a book called The Dancing Master, which has dances which are still danced today. You know, the sort of thing which you see on the television adaptations of Jane Austen novels and the like.

Maybe if you get far enough back, you might find a link to him!! :D :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline ShannonSMPB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 23 04:27 GMT (UK) »
I’m hoping Jennifer C will read this— I’ve just recently done a lot of looking into my family history and discovering my family tree. My great grandfather was Arthur Playford (son of Francis and Emily Augusta). I would love to potentially connect with the friend you are doing research for - it would be amazing to see photos of my ancestors!

Thanks so much for helping connect the dots.