Author Topic: Pandy isaf, Llanfor near Bala.  (Read 3308 times)

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pandy isaf, Llanfor near Bala.
« on: Monday 19 April 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my family history and have traced back to Robert Williams the Bard 1744-1815 of above address, Tre Rhiwaedog. He left a will and had 4 daughters, Margaret, Jane, Elinor & Elizabeth. There is now a missing link as one of these would have married a ??? Jones who was the father of John Jones 1818-1873. He didn't live in Pandy Isa as the censuses show an Edward Hughes to be living there.
Futher-more, on the latest O.S. maps there is no trace now of Panda Isa but is clearly shown on the Tithe Maps in the National Libraray of Wales.
Any Clues????

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pandy isaf, Llanfor near Bala.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
I've just done a postcode search and Pandy Isaf does exist, it's in Rhosygwaliau, Bala.
Any information re the Williams family or of Robert William(s) would be gratefully received. In the census of 1841 it seems Ellinor Roberts lived there & I strongly suspect that she is one of his 4 daughters.

Offline trot30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
I found this in "Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society"
Volume IX published 1984

Pandy-Isaf (SH 9491 3581)
Probably the "Tyddyn-y-pandy yssa" (isa - lower), the house still retains the name although the pandy has been demolished. The Tithe Award map (1847) shows it next to the stream at the edge of Garth y Pandy; Cae'r ddentir surrounds the farmhouse (itself a seventeenth-century date) All that is left of the pandy is a slight weir and a short length of walling.

hope this helps
Llanfor, Llandderfel, Llanycil, Llangywer, Llanuwchllyn, Cefnddwysarn.

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 September 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm very grateful to you for that. I shall look up your reference. I did find a farm called the Pandy Isaf on the Rhosygwaliau road earlier in the summer but your article may be more revealing.
Thanks again