Author Topic: Mott family in Essex  (Read 11893 times)

Offline dellfrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mott family in Essex
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 April 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
HI JacobeaM
Many thanks for the details of the marriage. I thought that this was the marriage but many years ago when I looked I seem to remember getting the surname. I lost the papers but now that you have shown the name I remember quite clearly that I saw Quill or what looked like Quill. How did you find the De Longford bit.
Mary was born in Killarney Ireland c 1837 so now maybe I will be able to find her .
I sincerely thank you for your help- really is appreciated. I just cannot believ how helpful people are. In just a few days I have been helped to find my step grandmothers descendants and now perhaps my great grandmother line.
I saw the families you are interested in. I was married to a Godfrey but they were all from Battersea. But if there  is anything I can do for you just say.
Thanks
derek

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 April 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Apologies Derek, I should have posted that. I dont know why I dident  :-[

I looked at the original marriage index on Ancestry and it does give her  full name as JacobeaM says.  :)

You need to post on the Irish Board for her, you will have more luck there, although I do know Irish records are quite difficult as a lot of them have not survived but give it a go, you never know.  ;)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline dellfrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
HI
Thanks yet again
derek

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 April 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth and parents of George Henry Mott died 1909 born c 1839

George Henry Mott b. Sept q. 1840 St Georges, Hanover Sq.London, Middx
1a - 15

Do you think this could be him  ???  if so the cert would give his fathers name/occupation if not deceased  and you could cross reference it with his marriage
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline dellfrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 April 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your e-mail cam just as I was working on that brith. I feel pretty confident that this is the George Henry I am looking for. The 1861 census for George Henry living with his wife Mary and daughter Mary says he was born at Middlesex Knightsbridge.
The 1841 census gives a George Mott address as St George Place Knightsbridge Terrace. The other Motts there were William Mott age 30 and looks like Emma Mott age 23. It then list 5 women aged 16--23 with varying names and Joseph Russell age 18 and then George Mott age 1.
Thanks
derek

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 April 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
  15.10.1859 St Stephens Church Islington.

George Henry Mott full age Batchelor a Warehouseman 4 Portland Place... father William Mott a Warehouseman.

Mary Catherine Josephine Quill De Longford full age Spinster 3 Barnsbury Place... father Morris, Henry, Hugh  De Longford.  a Clerk

As she is full age she must be at least 21 or over, so that helps to narrow it down a bit .

Where her fathers name appears Morris, Henry, Hugh Quill  has been entered but then crossed out, so perhaps Quill was her mothers maiden surname as it is part of Mary Catherine J's  name.  :-\

The witnesses look like  Emmeline Lavinia or Davinia Mott and Sarah Pond Burt or Bull, :-\   not sure of this surname.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 April 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am puzzled   ???

I cannot find George Henry with a father William on the 1841 nor  the 1851 census..... but I have found this in 1841

George Mott down as 3 mths (which does not quite fit),  in the St. George The Martyr, Workhouse , above him is a Bridget Mott aged 30 b Ireland

Now it may be that if this is  him, he could have given a false fathers name on his marriage certificate, it was very common practice to do this.

Or maybe his father Wm died . :-\

Offline dellfrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 April 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I found George Henry Mott 1840 July Aug Sept regiseterd at St Geoges Hanover Square. I also found 1841 census at 23 St  Georges Terrace George Mott age 1.
At this house were William Mott and what looks like Emma Mott.
I then looked at the 1851 census and found George Mott aged 11 as a pupil at Baker Street. Beneath his name was Charles Frederick Mott aged 9. I then looked up Charles Frederick Mott born 1842 and found he too was registered at St Georges Hanover Square so that I presume is a brother.
Bearing in mind that the census of 1861 gave George Henrys birth at Knightsbridge that all seems to tie up.
The marriage certificate giving warehouseman also matches the warehouseman employment status on the 1861 census for George Henry. The father William Mott that you found on the marriage certificate also ties up with the William in the 1841 census at St Georges Terrace.
With regard to the Quill De Longford bit- that all seems to tie in with the problem I was having where I had only seen the name Mary Quill. That was why I had not been able to confirm the marriage in 1859 as it was under De Longford for her record.
How do you get access to the actual marriage certificate so quickly. I am a member on GenesReunited and all I can see is the registry books. I am amazed at how you get such great information so quickly and yet again my thanks.
kind regards
derek

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 April 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
also found 1841 census at 23 St  Georges Terrace George Mott age 1.

Well you did better than me then, :) I couldent seem to find that entry on Ancestry when I searched.  :( so at least we know that that wasent him, which is good  :)

Can you please post the reference for the 1841 and  Emmas or Williams age as I still cant find them after a second look.