Author Topic: Wilton electrol roll Morpeth NSW  (Read 3831 times)

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilton electrol roll Morpeth NSW
« on: Wednesday 21 April 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On arriving in Australia on board the Neptune in 1844 my decedents went to a Uncle in Morpeth near Newcastle, please help ::), there names were Thomas & Mary Wilton with 3 children,James,Elizabeth & Ann, would like to know Uncles name.
Mary's maiden name was Chard, it could have been a uncle on her side?
By 1847 they were in Parramatta where there 4th child was born.
would appreciate any help.

Cheryl  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilton electrol roll Morpeth NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

Just posting the Reel No etc and I can have a look when I'm at the Library - possibly on Friday. Sometimes it gives the name of the person they are going to.
NSW Immigration Assisted migrants:
WILTON
Neptune 1844 Sydney and/or Newcastle and family Reel 2135, [4/4785] Page 49; Reel 2451, [4/4896] 
Anne inft b on board
Elizabeth 2 b Wilts
James 4 b Wilts
Mary Anne 25 b Somerset farm servant
Thomas 27 b Wiltshire farm labourer

Oh, he is from Mere, Wilts with parents both dead, Daniel and Anne.  And I see the entry just says about the Uncle with no name given  :(

Cheryl,  I see you are the person looking for further info from the Wilts board.  I listed a couple of links to Mere  for you to look further.  Sorry the thread got a bit hijacked in looking for Maidment families  ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,438495.0.html

Thomas's mother's surname (from other post) is JUKES so this could also be the surname of the uncle.

Will have a further look later - need to go out now.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Thankyou so much for your help  :-*
Also for looking on the reel, I am looking forward to seeing what you may find.

Thankyou so much.

Regards Cheryl

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I may be giving you a red herring, if so, I apologise.  In the Hunter region from late 1828 until his death in 1859 was the Rev Wilton, who had arrived in NSW with his wife (Elizabeth nee Plaistowe) on the ship Elizabeth. Four of my forebears were on that same voyage.  Rev was also a farmer in the Hunter.

Here is a link to some info about Rev Wilton, lots of biographical info in it. 
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020556b.htm

Also just searching google using his name gives lots of other details.  If he was the UNCLE, please let me know  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
No electoral roll information - not that I have access to anyway.  :(

Looking at the NLA digi newspaper site I can only see mention of the minister that JM has given and a Dr William WILTON who was in Newcastle as early as 1843 and is mentioned many times in articles to do with inquests etc.

Neither seems a good match for having a nephew/niece ag labs.  However, still possible.

Are you still looking for WILTON in Wilts?

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 08:17 BST (UK) »
I have not found any electoral roll info either  :(

But following up on CHARD, perhaps another red herring, but some bio information in this newspaper cutting from 1835 for a James Chard, advertising in a Sydney newspaper. He was born London, aged 26 and had been transported.   

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12852343?searchTerm=%22james+chard%22

I will shortly amend this post with some info about James Chard, fingers crossed there is a connection to Mary Wilton, nee Chard, noting a child was named James  ;).

Edit 1 Noting there are several convicted men named as James Chard !  the one in the newspaper adv was tried at the Middlesex sessions 17 February 1825, transported on the Norfolk (confirming the adv) and received his Cert of Freedom 22 Feb 1832 (confirming the adv)

I won't search further, until Cheryl has had opportunity to consider if James Chard may have been connected to Mary.

Edit 2, I looked further  ;) and found the Immigration for Thomas and his wife   ;D
She was born Keysenham (not sure of spelling) Somerset, daughter of Robert & Anne Chard BOTH LIVING !  perhaps that's a clue for that UNCLE  ;) The Wilton family were BAPTISTS and their children were detailed too... James baptised 21 July 1839, Elizabeth baptised 3 Sept 1843 and Ann aged 3 weeks, born on board.  Also, on Thomas' page there's a note that a Mary FORTUNE, of the same neighbourhood came under his care.  Thomas details already noted earlier in this thread .. 

Hope this helps find that Uncle  ;)

Cheers, JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline chezza60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thankyou everyone for all your help. ;)

I am a little lost as to where to go to find who this uncle may be?
I don't think it could be James Chard, as all the decedents seemed to come from Somerset & Wiltshire.
Wondering if the Rev Wilton was from either of those areas.
Also Thomas, mother was a Ann Jukes.Could the uncle be a Jukes? ::)
Yes I am still looking for Wiltons from Wiltshire.

Thankyou all again
Cheryl  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there, on the link I posted earlier, re Rev Wilton the opening remarks for him include:

WILTON, CHARLES PLEYDELL NEALE (1795-1859), Church of England chaplain, was born on 24 October 1795 at Stow, Gloucestershire, England, the son of Rev. William Wilton and his wife Charlotte, née Jelf,

Will post if I find any JUKES in NSW !

Edit LOTS OF JUKES with keyword search at NSW State Archives, including a Joseph Jukes, Waratah district (ie Hunter region) death 6 June 1905  here's the link to keyword searching  ;) http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp

Cheers,  JM

Offline Marg16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 May 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

Just to hopefully save you some time.
I have all the family of Rev. C P N WILTON and Dr. William WILTON and the Thomas and Mary you are researching are definitely not connected . Neither are the Uncle you are looking for.
Regards
Marg