Author Topic: Silver war badge info please  (Read 1367 times)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silver war badge info please
« on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
HI,

I have got the medal card for Charlie Roach 5th DLI reg number 3863.

This gentlmen was effectivley my grandfathers step Dad and was blinded at Kemmel in June 1916 - St Dunstans have been more than helpfull in providing me more information on him.

I understand this is the third type of medal card used for men who only received the SWB - am I right.....except it appears he did get the other usual medals in the end.

If so would going to Kew give me any more information other than is on the card - my impression from looking arround is that it would not help me further.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Silver war badge info please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
The reference number on the left hand side of medal cards relates to the medal roll, where sometimes there is a clue to the battalion/unit number, but unlikely to be anything else.
The medal rolls are not online but can be seen at Kew.

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I take it that because I already know it was the 5th Battalion that there is unlikely to be anything else to gain.

I will take a look just incase there is something else though -  you never know.  ???

Vonni

Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
The SWB list will give you the date of enlistment and discharge; the reason for the discharge - usually Para 392 xvi King's Regulations "No longer physically fit for war service;" whether the cause was wounds or sickness. Sometimes the age on discharge is given as well. It will also confirm whether your man served overseas, which you already knew because he was entitled to the other medals.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
The medal card that I have already has all that info on it - and I know he served abroad because of family stories and St Dunstans confirmed it.

Thank you for the advice  :) - you have confirmed what I thought.

Vonni

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
The SWB index card says he was discharge for sickness not wounds, I would check out the SWB roll, also have a look at the War Diary for the 5th Battalion DLI for the dates around you say he was wounded.

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that - I am going to the Nat Archives on Saturday so I will see if there is any more infomation on him.

I understand that he was injured in June 1916 but he was not discharged until Jan 1917 - is that a normal time span for a man who was blinded?

My family thought it was a gas attack that resulted in his blindness not an injury as I was informed by St Dunstans.

Will the war diary for the 5th DLI be at the Nat Archives? - the 5th DLI was actually part of the 150th Brigade in 50th (Northumbrian) Division at the time he was injured/sick.

Vonni  :)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Vonni,

WO 95/2837 covers the period you want.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08jz/

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 April 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Ooo fantastic - thankyou  :D

Will let you know What I find out

Vonni