Author Topic: Silver war badge info please  (Read 1368 times)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silver war badge info please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 May 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Phil for the link to the national archives catalogue ref.

I may not be able to confirm for certain, however from the war diaries it sounds as though on 17 th June 1916 Charlie was injured while the 5th devision helped out the 24th during a gas attack on the front line at Kemmel. While in the support lines helping the injured they got cought up in the attack, 1 man was killed and 3 injured. I assume that if it was gas that blinded him that this might get recorded as sickness on his medal card.

I didnt have time to read much more but will visit again and take  closer look at the diaries to find out more about his experiences.

And I was right-  looking at the SWB list gave me no more information than was on the medal card...worth a look though.

Thankyou for your help

Vonni

Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)