Author Topic: RAF Coastal Command fatality - The Gambia 11/11/43.  (Read 2690 times)

Offline JJENG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Coastal Command fatality - The Gambia 11/11/43.
« on: Thursday 22 April 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
A lady acquaintance has shown me an excellent poem written about Coastal Command experiences by Sergeant Ivor Rudder-Smith (Service No, 1333652), who she knew before his death during WW2.  I have told her that the CWGC website says he died 11/11/1943 (age 20) and is buried in the Fajara War Cemetary, The Gambia.  Research indicates there are a number of men from 200 Squadron, Coastal Command buried there, but an online Squadron diary makes no mention of incidents around that date. Has anyone access to Liberator or other Coastal Command aircraft crash dates that may help with more detail to satisfy my curious nature?
Any help appreciated.     
Buckingham/Gawcott/Bucks - Jeffs; Bedfordshire - Morton; Oxon - Budd; Northampton - Cox; Duncton/Chichester/Sussex - Shepherd and Souter; Dublin, Brighton, Chiswick - Carthy.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Coastal Command fatality - The Gambia 11/11/43.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=15990&forum=DCForumID6

Catalina IB - 302 FTU* - FP122
Ferry flight, overturned on landing at Bathurst, Gambia.
killed:
F/O J.R. MOORE - 128598
Sgt L. LAMBOURNE - 1651781
F/O E. LISTER - 138445
F/Sgt D. WALSH - 1388187
Sgt R. HALLOWS - 1092047
Sgt I.R.A. RUDDER-SMITH - 1333652
Sgt A.E. MORTLEY - 1270606
Sgt P.I. DURSLEY - 1317925
Sgt G F W STEPHENS

* Ferry Training Unit

K

Offline JJENG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 10 15:44 BST (UK) »
KYT - Many thanks for taking the trouble to expedite the information and link, which completes the story for the lady who worked with Ivor Rudder-Smith in Newbury, Berks before he enlisted in 1940.  I am keeping a copy of the poem (from 1941 about the boredom of patrols in a Catalina over the Atlantic, but how glad he was that he wasn't posted to Bomber Command) and the information about him in the flyleaf of my 'Coastal Command at War' book as a tribute to a brave young man.
Thanks again - John.
Buckingham/Gawcott/Bucks - Jeffs; Bedfordshire - Morton; Oxon - Budd; Northampton - Cox; Duncton/Chichester/Sussex - Shepherd and Souter; Dublin, Brighton, Chiswick - Carthy.

Offline Jamesroger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 11 17:12 GMT (UK) »
John,
I've just seen your post.  My wife's step mother is Mary Rudder-Smith, youngest sister of Ivor. I'm sure she would be very interested in seeing Ivor's poem.  Could you post a copy or email it to me?
Many thanks,
Roger

Offline JJENG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger,

I am more than happy to email or post the poem to you if you wish to provide your email or postal address.

I recall the lady who had the poem saying that Ivor, in his RAF uniform, called into the office where he had previously worked, to renew acqaintance with her and his former workmates and gave her the poem.

How sad that he died at such as young age.

Regards,
John

Offline Jamesroger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
John,

Are you still in touch with the lady who gave you the poem?

Many thanks
Roger