Author Topic: look up please if possible South Lancs Reg't  (Read 1643 times)

Offline P J Neylon (nee Collins)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family tree driving me insane!!
    • View Profile
look up please if possible South Lancs Reg't
« on: Friday 23 April 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
I've just been reading another thread and someone mentioned he had details of troops from Lancashire regiments.
I've had no luck with service records from Ancestry & just wondered if anyone could find any details of my grandfather
DANIEL COLLINS  date of birth 1884 in Liverpool

He was serving in India with 1st Batallion South Lancs prior to the outbreak of WW1, was then  recalled and sent to France where I understand he fought in the battle of the Somme.

I think I have located his medal card which gives his number as 6676

Any help would be very much appreciated
Pauline :)
Newton le Willows
Billinge
Liverpool
Roosky area Co Roscommon
Kilmaley/Ballydonohoe Co Clare
Collins family Co Cork
Collins
O'Donnell
Chatterton
Dearden
Broughton
Naylor
Neylon (Irish)
Naughton (Irish)
Foley (Irish)
Hanrahan (Irish)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: look up please if possible South Lancs Reg't
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
 Hi Pauline

I see from his medal card that he was an Acting Warrant Officer at the end of the war. It is possible that he stayed on in the army to complete 21 years. If so, and from his age, his papers will still be with the MOD. Before risking £30 to apply for them I would try and find him in an electoral roll from say 1918 to the early '20s so you can confirm his occupation.

I am not an expert in the numbering of the South Lancs, but 66?? is about right for a regular to enlist about the time he was 18. So you need to do some basic research into his family during WW1 and the early '20s. You should also try and find if there are any regimental BMDs on Findmypast. These give the regiment in the index, and the certificate should give his regimental number.

You clearly have some information about him. Can you say where this comes from?

btw... the depot for the South Lancs is still there in Orford Road, Warrington, as a TA headquarters.

Ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Thanks for your reply.
I have tried researching the family but haven't got very far ???
His mother died in 1889 and I think his father remarried, he features as a child on 1891 census but I can find no trace of any of the family in 1901 census. He married by nan in 1915 (obviously during wartime)
In 1911 census he was serving in Punjab region.  He was with 1st batallion before the war then called back to join the war and joined 2nd batallion, his medal card shows 1st entered theatre of war in 1915 (France)
Their 1st child was born1916 in liverpool, Grandad was buried alive in 1917 in France for 5 days then discoverd when the site started to be dug out! I have no more details of this incident! Their 2nd child was born 1918 in liverpool.
My dad was born 1920 at Warrington Barracks, then they must have returned to India as my aunt was born on board ship on the way home in Indian waters (family knowledge) but her birth is registered at MHOW. last child born 1928 at their home address where they lived for the rest of their lives. There was also another child who died in infancy..not sure of details.
Grandad died in 1934 in a TB sanatorium for ex-service men in chester (no records held!), nan died 1971 at home.
Haven't thought about electoral rolls..........stupid me!!!! Although I do know the rolls for our home town have been destroyed but I'm sure they will survive for Liverpool.
I rang Warrington barracks.....all records have been transferred to Fulwood at Preston, it's £15 for someone to do 1 hour of research so I want to find as much as I can my self before asking them so that I'm not asking to find things that i could find anyway, I have thought about service record but £30!!!!
All help greatly appreciated :)
Pauline

Newton le Willows
Billinge
Liverpool
Roosky area Co Roscommon
Collins family Co Cork
Collins
O'Donnell
Chatterton
Dearden
Broughton
Naylor
Neylon (Irish)
Naughton (Irish)
Foley (Irish)
Hanrahan (Irish)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

There will not be anything of much use in Preston that they can release because of the privacy laws. As he was serving after 1920 you can only get his full record from the MOD, after submitting a declaration as to your connection. You also have to send a copy of his death certificate.

The NA/MOD started a discussion 2-3 years ago about releasing discharge papers from the inter-war years and for the Home Guard. I have not heard anything since. Even if it goes ahead it will be 5-10 years before anything is released. If you do order his documents from the MOD you should ask for photocopies of the whole file. Otherwise I have heard they can send you just a typewritten summary.

My GF enlisted in the same barracks, but for the Liverpool Regiment. He also told his children he was buried when a trench was shelled. It turns out from his papers in Kew that he fell in the trench on his first night in France. Sometimes there can be too much information in historical documents.

Ken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
hee hee that's true! :)
I might just bite the bullet and send to the MOD
Pauline
Newton le Willows
Billinge
Liverpool
Roosky area Co Roscommon
Collins family Co Cork
Collins
O'Donnell
Chatterton
Dearden
Broughton
Naylor
Neylon (Irish)
Naughton (Irish)
Foley (Irish)
Hanrahan (Irish)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
The following link is for the NA listing of the docs held at the museum in Preston, its pretty dry reading, but may save you £15 if they have nothing of interest.

My gf served with the South Lancs in WW2 - his records tell me that he enjoyed it so much he kept going home to tell the family about it. Fortunately the Regt always sent along a nice policeman to give him a lift back......yep, funny things, records.

Regards

Pete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete
Thanks, you're right we can definitely find out things we didn't want to know! He was probably just missing home......it's sad for them really. It always makes me think when I see the ages of some of thm .......how scared they must have been.......an the same for todays troops in Afghanistan!

ps.......no link ;)
Newton le Willows
Billinge
Liverpool
Roosky area Co Roscommon
Collins family Co Cork
Collins
O'Donnell
Chatterton
Dearden
Broughton