Author Topic: Layston Church-Buntingford  (Read 12277 times)

Offline Squiddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Layston Church-Buntingford
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 December 10 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry not to have better news, I have looked through the alphabetical index of the folders I am currently working through with the burial records for Layston Churchyard and Im unable to find any Surname Daniels. It is a working progress and I believe there are other records held which I will get to see in the future, I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for you.
Very best wishes
Angie Findlater
Sexton of Layton Churchyard

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 December 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie

The fact that you can't find Daniels in the records doesn't suprise too much as the verbal information I have been given by a second cousin in England,who I have never met, is that his mother,my greatgrandmother was annoyed by the fact that the Reverend was prone to have a couple of drinks after some funerals and at times notes did not make it into the church records. She also tells me that his mother would tend his gravestone on a regular basis.

I know he is buried there, his obit is huge and very detailed right down to the comments made on well over a hundred floral tributes. During my visit there in May /June I hope to contact someone at the church who can give me a general area of burials during that time in 1932 and then hopefully do a methodical search of that area.

It may be a total waste of time but it is something I need to do.

Thanks for your assistance.....Keith
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I saw this old posting and wondered if you are still preparedto hunt through the churchyard at Layston.

If so perhaps you could see if you can find any graves for the surname Thorpe in the pre 1900 section.  In particular I am looking for Diana Thorpe who died in 1875.

Thanks in advance

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Dave hasn't logged into Rootschat since Mar 2011

Diana Thorpe's burial is recorded in the Layston Church PR's as:
Diana Thorpe, buried 27 March 1875, aged 65.

If you send a PM to Church123 he may be able to help with any MI's for Layston.

Good luck

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 September 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady Di

Thanks for responding to my post.  Very useful information. Please could you also look to see if there are burial details at Layston church for Diana's son William Benjamin Thorpe who died about May 1900?

Thanks in advance

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 September 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
You're in luck Roger ...
William Benjamin THORPE of Newtown Buntingford was buried St Bartholomew's Layston June 26th 1900 - aged 66.

Hope that helps

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 September 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Di you're a star.

Roger