Author Topic: Hipwell family of Colmworth Beds  (Read 10472 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hipwell family of Colmworth Beds
« on: Saturday 24 April 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just recently found a link in my tree to Colmworth and Eaton Socon, Bedfordshire. I was wondering where the parish records for Colmworth are kept. Also what are the best rescources to use on line for Bedfordshire?

Names I am interested in are;
George Hipwell b1743 Colmworth
Thomas Hipwell b1720 Eaton Socon
Gregory Hipwell b1685. Colmworth/Eaton Socon.
If any one has these names in their tree I would love to hear from you.

Andrea.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hipwell family of Colmworth Beds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Virtually all baptisms and marriages pre 1813 for Beds have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org . All registers in Beds pre 1813 have been transcribed and are available on fiche or hard copy. I have the Colmworth fiche. The original parish registers are kept at Bedford & Luton Archives & Records Service in Bedford

What exactly are you looking for?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
Many records for Eaton Socon are available here

http://www.tsgcs.co.uk/escan/index.asp

Regards John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you John and David for your help.

I am really looking to confirm if the information I have been given is correct.

the info I have been given;

George Hipwell born 1743 Colmworth, parents Thomas Hipwell b1720 and Susannah ? b1720.
George married Eliza ? not sure of the year but their 1st child, that I have was born 1768 in Colmworth.
 I would love to know what Susannah and Eliza's surnames were.

I am unsure if Thomas Hipwell b1720 was born in Colmworth or Eaton Socon (his siblings seem to have been born in Eaton Socon).

Thomas's parent were Gregory Hipwell b c1685 and Anne King b c1685. They were married in Colmworth 08/11/1709. Would like to find out who Gregory and Anne's parents were, and if infact Gregory was from Colmworth.

Any help with the Hipwell family would be really appreciated.
Andrea.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
George Hipwell's baptism in 1743 can be found on the IGI, an extracted item, so reliable.

Hunts Marriage Index has a marriage of George Hipwell of Colmworth to Eliza Loveding at Gt Staughton, Hunts in 1768. It also has Thomas Hipwell marrying Susan Solding at St Neots, Hunts, at the beginning of 1740. Their daughter Jemima was the first Hipwell baptism in Colmworth in 1742 (the parish register starts in 1604). I see that George and Eliza baptised a son Solding Hipwell.

If you don't have Thomas Hipwell's baptism c1720 how do you know that he was the son of Gregory and Ann, as opposed to say, William Hipwell who was also baptising children in Eaton Socon at roughly the same time? Gregory Hipwell, carpenter of Honeydon, Eaton Socon, left a will which was proved in 1750 - Bedford and Luton Archives and Records Service has a copy under ref 1750/58. If you don't already have a copy it would be worth getting one to see if he left a bequest to a son Thomas or to grandchildren. The fact that Thomas and Susan baptised a son Gregory might be a pointer as to his father, but it's only circumstantial evidence - he might have been named for an uncle Gregory, especially as the eldest son was George, thus confounding the traditional naming pattern. It's inconsistent that Gregory should have baptised other children, but not Thomas.

Until you can prove who Thomas' father was it's premature to be researching Gregory's ancestors

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 10 06:49 BST (UK) »
Extra information given in the transcript is that in the baptisms of Jemima and George, Thomas Hipwell is described as a shoemaker, and John and Gregory baptised in 1750 were twins.

David

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
George Hipwell's baptism in 1743 can be found on the IGI, an extracted item, so reliable.

Hunts Marriage Index has a marriage of George Hipwell of Colmworth to Eliza Loveding at Gt Staughton, Hunts in 1768. It also has Thomas Hipwell marrying Susan Solding at St Neots, Hunts, at the beginning of 1740. Their daughter Jemima was the first Hipwell baptism in Colmworth in 1742 (the parish register starts in 1604). I see that George and Eliza baptised a son Solding Hipwell.

If you don't have Thomas Hipwell's baptism c1720 how do you know that he was the son of Gregory and Ann, as opposed to say, William Hipwell who was also baptising children in Eaton Socon at roughly the same time? Gregory Hipwell, carpenter of Honeydon, Eaton Socon, left a will which was proved in 1750 - Bedford and Luton Archives and Records Service has a copy under ref 1750/58. If you don't already have a copy it would be worth getting one to see if he left a bequest to a son Thomas or to grandchildren. The fact that Thomas and Susan baptised a son Gregory might be a pointer as to his father, but it's only circumstantial evidence - he might have been named for an uncle Gregory, especially as the eldest son was George, thus confounding the traditional naming pattern. It's inconsistent that Gregory should have baptised other children, but not Thomas.

Until you can prove who Thomas' father was it's premature to be researching Gregory's ancestors

David

Thank you for this info, very kind of you.
As I did say I was trying to confirm if the information I was given was correct before going all guns ablazing down this route.

With my own investigation of the Hipwell family I managed to go back to Thomas Hipwell b 1770 in Woodwalton Huntingdonshire, (if the info I have been given is correct then Thomas is the son of George and Eliza), Thomas married Jane Crunckhorn from Peterborough and they lived in Peterborough. Thomas died in 1820 in Peterborough, Jane lived much longer and died living in the local workhouse. This is where I came to a brick wall.
I was then contacted by someone on Genes Reunited about Thomas and Jane. They then gave me the information about George 1743, Thomas 1720 and Gregory 1685. As you can imagine I was very excited at learning this information but also very eager to confirm the information and not assume that it was correct. Hence the topic post.

I was also given other Children for George Hipwell and Eliza; Gregory b1768 Colmworth, Mary Ann 1768 Hanover Square London and Jane 1769 Colmworth.

Hope this makes sense.
Andrea.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 April 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
You've lost me!

George and Eliza baptised a son Thomas in Colmworth on 26 Oct 1772. Are you saying that this was the Thomas who married in Peterborough who was born in Wood Walton? Looks like two Thomas' to me, unless the Peterborough marriage said Thomas was of the parish of Wood Walton, which merely means he was residing there at the time of the marriage.

If you do a parent search on the IGI, just putting in George - Hipwell - eliza in the appropriate father/mother boxes you'll get all their nine children who were baptised in Colmworth. The Hanover Square baptism looks decidedly iffy to me - George and Eliza weren't married until 1768 at Gt Staughton, and for them to have baptised a daughter in London in the same year, and also Gregory on 13 June 1768 makes the timing all but impossible. Were you given full details of the London baptism?

I think your first hurdle is to establish who the Peterborough Thomas was. What was his age at burial, and what other detail does his marriage entry give?

David

I've just seen trees on Ancestry which show Thomas as dying in Peterborough, USA. Others show it as Peterborough Northants. Which is correct? Some show him as being born in Woodwalton, but baptised at Colmworth. It doesn't ring true.  I see where the Mary Hipwell comes from - she was transported to Australia. There's no evidence that I can see that she was the daughter of George and Eliza, particularly as some trees show her birth as three years before they married.

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
I am sure the parish records say 'of the parish'. I will go and have another look on Thursday (helps working across the road) and update any information I can get from said record.

Andrea