Author Topic: Spillard & Francis  (Read 2484 times)

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spillard & Francis
« on: Saturday 24 April 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am attempting to track more information about my g.g.great grandparent Andrew Spillard (b. 1788) in London, his wife Sarah Francis and their parents before them (I believe he was the son of an Andrew before him).

The son of Andrew (also Andrew) was my g.great grandfather and he married Elizabeth Tilling before emigrating to NZ. I have quite a bit of information about him and Elizabeth, but am trying to find out more about his parents, grandparents etc. Where and when they were born, what they did for a living etc. Our family (in NZ) is attempting to pull together historical information about where we came from.

Anyone related to Spillard or Francis or who has information, or who can provide direction, it would be great to get in touch.

Look forward to hearing from you
Bill
Hall (Bradford); Morgan (Bradford); Milner (Bradford); Fearnley (Bradford); Tilling (London); Spillard (London); Fudge (Adelaide, Australia); Callaghan (Kapunda, Australia)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Spillard & Francis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Andrew Spillard & Sarah Francis married on 21.11.1808 at St Marylebone after banns.  Witnesses were Michael Gee and Mary Spillard

Andrew jnr and Elizabeth Tilling married 31.12.1849 at St Mary Paddington Green.  Interestingly - Andrew is shown as a widower occ carpenter - father Andrew Spillard - no occupation shown

Elizabeth is shown as a minor (under 21yrs) father George Tilling

This is Andrew's first marriage 12.2.1844 to Mary Wattho/Waltto at St James Paddington

Andrew - full age - bachelor - occ carpenter father Andrew occ tailor
Mary - full age - spinster - father James occ stone sawyer
Witnesses (looks like) John Inman and Mary Jolly
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Carole

Many thanks for that information. Most helpful. The younger Andrew Spillard led quite an eventful life, aside from life here in the UK, but in New Zealand. Nice to be able to anchor him.

I shall endeavour to track down more about Sarah Francis. Think I did a search and there were quite a few options for her demise on FreeBMD. Will continue.

Thank you once again.
Bill
Hall (Bradford); Morgan (Bradford); Milner (Bradford); Fearnley (Bradford); Tilling (London); Spillard (London); Fudge (Adelaide, Australia); Callaghan (Kapunda, Australia)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
there is a baptism
Mary Ann Spillard
Jun 1844
St Luke Chelsea
parents Andrew Spillard/Mary

possibly daughter from (Andrew jnr's) 1st marriage

wonder if this Andrew is related??

Burial
Andrew Spillard
died and buried 24 Apr 1828
age 73
St George Hanover Square Westminster Middlesex

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there Suz

I think the Andrew Spillard record could be a relative. There are a chain of Andrew Spillards. The youngest one that emigrated to NZ was born in 1815 and died in NZ (fell off a cliff of all things in his old age). His father was Andrew and I think born in 1788. This burial would not be him as the ages don't tie in. Haven't been able to locate him. However, his father was also Andrew Spillard and it is quite likely that this that would make him born in 1755, which is old enough to be the father of the next Andrew b. 1788.

From information I was given some time earlier, the youngest Andrew was married to a Mary Waltho and that child Mary Ann was from that union.

Very convaluted. I imagine there are parish or church records held at these places that one could go and search.

Thank you for this information. Extremely helpful.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
have you seen these entries on the IGI??

all extracted -

Mary Ann Spillerd born 11 Jul 1791 baptised 21 Jul 1791
ANDREW SPILLERD born 13 dec 1788 baptised 24 Dec 1788
James Spillard born 11 Aug 1793 baptised 22 Aug 1793

all at Lying in hospital Endell St Holburn London (although the Lying in hospital didn't move to Endell St until 1849 - it was at brownlow St from 1742-1849
all to parents Andrew Spillerd(Spillard) and Ann

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline cannonhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 April 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz

Thank you for that information. To be honest, I do not know what the IGI is. Please elaborate.

I know there are numerous Spillards around London at approximately that time, but not knowing who is related to who makes it difficult to know. Knowing these 3 are progeny of Andrew and Ann helps with the comprehension.

Thanks once again
Bill

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 April 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
the IGI=International Geological Information

You can search it free at www.familysearch.org

It is a completely free site

You will find the "Ancestral file" which is information (in a kind of family tree format) which has been submitted by members of the Latter Day Saints church members- it is OK to use as a guide sometimes - but be cautious as submissions are not checked against documentation -so sometimes are little more than a guess

There is the 1881 UK census -free to view (and odd census from other countries)

then the IGI - which has birth/baptism, marriages, deaths/burials. It is still being transcribed and some entries are member submitted -which again treat with caution - but many entries are "Extracted"  and are from the Parish records -so the only likely errors are mistranscriptions caused by difficulty in reading the registers
Underneath the record you will see "Source" clicking on this will give you which records they were transcribed from

it is not complete -but there is a new site coming soon which will have separated the member submitted and extracted records

Hope this helps

Suz