Author Topic: ++ COMPLETED ++ McLEOD - Lochbroom  (Read 28335 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLEOD - Lochbroom
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 April 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
I missed this:

Looking at this  record of marriage of William here in NZ to 2nd wife Jessie Cummings nee Forrest. I note it says:
 Conj. Status  Widower, then
 Fmr.hus/wf.dc - Dec. 23 1884- Could have that been the death date of Flora -

I interpret this to be:

Former husband/wife's death (cert) Dec 23 1884.

Do you have the date of when William and his children arrived in NZ?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline houston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 April 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
William McLeod: born scotland 1844 died NZ 1928 bought 5 sons to NZ I have no ship or arrival date. Children:
 John b.6/12/1874,                                                    Neill b.24/12/1876 - d.16/12/1964,
 Ronald McDonald b.24/3/1878 - d.12/11/1951,        Flora Ann b.24/3/1880, - d.24/2/1881,
 Alexander Fergusson b.3/1/1882,  d.-------               William Angus b.23/1/1883 d----------
William 2nd Marriage in New Zealand
Children
James b.31/12/1887 went to Houston or Austin Texas  - cant find any info on him myself
Hugh b.22/3/1889 - d.30/12/1895,           Janet Margaret Flora b.10/3/1890 - d. 11.6.1986
Mary Ann Rebecca b.23/6/1891, - d. 26/12/1969         Donald b.21/8/1892
Norman b.------------ d. ---------1896
houston
McLeod. Western Isles Scotland
Macdonald. Western Isles Scotland
Talbot. Norfolk,  England
Webb. Thaxted Essex
Westh. Knudsker, Denmark
Gillham,Gilham Kent England
Monk, Kent England

Offline houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 April 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
re Annabella McLeod
No record of marriage or children in Scotland here
Came to New Zealand 1877 from Inverness -dont know ship but disembarked in Dunedin
She married George Milne 1878 in Mosgeil N.Z.
Children:   Jane                                               John           died 1910
Annabella (jnr) died 1913                                Georgina    died 1905   
William must have disembarked in there also as my Dad was born in Christchurch  South Island and he was William's grandson.  We personally now live in the North Island
I hope this helps and I have put out a call to see if anyone else know the relationship between William and Annanbella etc.,
With Thanks
Regards
houston
Webb. Thaxted Essex
Westh. Knudsker, Denmark
Monk, Kent England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 April 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi houston

The names of William's children certainly suggest that John and Flora were his parents and that he might have had a brother Neil. Unfortunately, Annabella's are less than helpful  :(

I don't see William, Jessie or any of the children on the 1881 so far. Also none of the children after Ronald seem to appear in the birth records  :-\

I don't have a hit on the William born Glenelg so I have a hunch that William and Annabella are brother and sister and that they were born/grew up at Ardmair, Lochbroom. William then went off and became a shepherd and met Jessie in the Glenelg area and their children were born there.

I have no more proof than I've already given  but the records (and the  lack of a Glenelg William on the early censuses)  do suggest this.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 April 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
I've just tried to get a hit on the Flroa b. 1880 and died 1881 - no birth or death record in Scotland.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 April 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Given the lack of birth  records after Ronald's in 1878, I'm thinking that William and Jessie came out to NZ sometime after 1878.  The last three children were born there and Jessie died in, possibly/probably,  1884.

Is the story of William bringing his sons out  a 'family tale' rather than  evidential?.

This is all rather difficult as there's not really enough evidence to confirm much at all.

Gadget

Offline houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget
No its true William is buried a couple of hundred miles away from where I live
Ronald my Granded is buried in same town as me   He bought the 5 sons out here the girl child Flora Ann 24/3/1880- 24/2/1881 must have died and been left buried back there.
The eldest son John - I have met his issue here as 2nd cousins and the same of the youngest son William Angus I have met them here as 2nd cousins   Neil remained a batchelor and Alexander got Married to a Sarah someone here but no issue

It seems that Annabella  Must have been Williams Sister or a cousin and I wonder if I searched the shipping lists if that would turn up any connections - Cant imagine her travelling out here on her own though one never knows.

No response from my queries to other cousins as yet but will get back to you if I can find out more
Thanks Meantime
Gadget
Webb. Thaxted Essex
Westh. Knudsker, Denmark
Monk, Kent England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi houston

I'm not saying that they aren't/weren't in New Zealand. I'm saying that I can't find any of the birth registrations after Ronald's or Jessie's death registration in Scotland or any of them on the 1881 census which suggests that they were born in NZ and that Jessie might have died there.

Gadget

Offline houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget :)
I didnt think about searching Death records here or know how accessable they are here, so maybe I will investigate that and see what I find and maybe work backwards from there. With what you have given me so far which is great and what I  can hopefully get from the OTHER cousins I may be able to draw a better picture. 
I am sure there must be ships records of departures and arrivals etc which will hold some clues. Will see what I  can find of those also.
Cheers
houston.
Webb. Thaxted Essex
Westh. Knudsker, Denmark
Monk, Kent England