Author Topic: Missing on CWG site  (Read 1008 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing on CWG site
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my local war memorials.  I was visiting one today at Castle Camps in Cambridgeshire.  Among the names is a Maurice Carter who it states died in 1919.   But when I do the search on the Commonwealth Wargraves site, nothing comes up.

Has anybody come across this before?  Does the site effectively stop with the ceasation of hostilities in 1918?  Alternatively I was wondering if he perhaps got caught up in the flu epidemic at the end of the war and this was why he could not be found on the site. 

Regards

KA

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing on CWG site
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
I can't see any sign of a Maurice Carter being born in (or resident in 1901 in) that part of the world - or any reference to him in WW1 material available online.  How strange!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
KA,

There are many men missing from the CWGC for various reasons. Some are eligible to be on there but were missed,others are not eligible under the criteria the CWGC was set up under. If he was caught up in the flu epidemic, but had already been discharged, he would not be eligible.

http://www.infromthecold.org/

The cut off point for inclusion on the CWGC Debt of Honour was 21st(?) August 1921.

I have come across two men so far on my local memorials missed by the CWGC. One is now there, the other has yet to be verified. Luckily, both had surviving service records, particularly as they were both newcomers to the area, one after the 1911 census.

If you can, look through the local newspapers of the time, in case there is an obituary. Have you found a grave for him?

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 April 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
War Memorials have no hard and fast rules about who is on the list...Ive got a Tunneller who died in 1922 in a mining accident back in Castleford who served 1914-1918  in 170 Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers he was on the memorial at Whitwood unveiled in 1922 .Id have a look on medal index cards to see if anyone of that name was discharged to pension that may give you a starter and as Phil says go to the obituaries.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all that advice.  Much appreciated.  There is a local history museum not far away.  So I'll have a look at the newspapers and see if they come up with anything.

Kind regards

KA

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 May 10 06:19 BST (UK) »
There is a site

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/Errors.htm

that has a lot of details of names or errors on the CWGC site.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe