Author Topic: Ray family in Pontypool.  (Read 10319 times)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ray family in Pontypool.
« on: Friday 25 March 05 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone else researching Ray surname in Pontypool area. My Ray family were from Pont tranch? My great grt grandmother was born there  but later moved down to Glamorganshire
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline sharon ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ray family in Pontypool.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 08 15:24 BST (UK) »
 have you tried free bmd there are births to deaths  :)from the years 1839-1894

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon Ann
Thanks for the advice. I now have the dates  for the births etc of my ray family.
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Sir Richard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 11 08:28 BST (UK) »
I am one of that family, what would you like to know ?

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 11 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I have  left my family history for a while so nice to see another reply. My Ray family include my grt grandmother Hannah Ray. I have more info since posting on here but I am connected to james Ray. Lots of this family moved to Rhondda, Bridgend and Treharris.
It would be nice to find out a bit more info on the family.
How are you connected?

THANKS

Offline Sir Richard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hannah wed a chap Meredith in Brynmawr, one of his daughters wed a chap Rowlands who was killed in that colliery expolsion !

My line in is John Ray born 1832 he wed Eliza Tanner from Pontypool. He had three sisters and three brothers.
Ann the eldest who died single Hannah and Persis who wed Lot Williams, James the brother moved to Aberdare, Elias and Jacob moved to Ton Pentre, Jacob became Chief Agent for the Ocean Collieries at Treharris.

One of John's daughters wed Jonah Phillip Gibbon Colliery Agent JP.

The elder daughter Annie wed Edward Morgan.

How much more would You like to know ?

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Sir Richard
Thanks for the reply. i have some info on the Ray family and past stories from my grand father William Rowlands. I had found John in pENCOED IN 1881 and so some of the surnames associated with that part of the famly are familiar to me. I had also found Jacob in Rhondda but he later was in Treharris as you will know. My grandfather was close to that side of the family and they lived in the big house known as Bargoed House in Treharris. They were I am told well known in the area and there is a stone with the name on it at the local chapel. I know one of Jacob's daughters Elizabeth went to Australia for a while but returned. Some of that family were teachers. I keep an eye on their grave as it is in the same area of the cemetery as my dad's family.
Hannah Ray married Lewis Meredith and their daughter Mary Jane is my grt gran. Hannah died April 26th 1888. She had married Lewis Meredith 21st Oct 1857 in the Parish Church Llanelly. My family has the the orig cert . The Meredith's kept good records of the family so I have a lot of info on their ancestry inc their family bible which my aunt has If you would like info on their children please let me know.
Thank you for the maiden name of John's wife as I did not have that for my records.
Do you know what happened to Priscilla Ray who was John and Hannah's sister?
Thank you for reply and info and I would be glad of any information you have on this my mother's side of the family.

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
sorry forgot to add you were correct about the colliery accident. my grt grandfather Edward rowlands died in the Seghenydd colliery explosion. My Merediths are from Brynmawr and Radnor

all the best

Offline Sir Richard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
The sister's name is Persis and not Priscilla that must have been a mistake on the 1851 Census ? She wed a Lot Williams
in Pontypool then moved to the Rhondda or Ystradafodwg as it was then called ! .In the 1881 Census her big brother James is staying with her Pentre or Ystrad. I do know that when Lot passed away She went back to Pontypool and lived
in Rays House's ??????? around 1901 ? She had one Girl who wed a Butcher who had two children. James and John had
daughters called Persis but both died, John's was buried at Libanus Baptist Chaple Treherbert, James ?

I had a Lady here Monday from Canada, Pam Erickson, descendant of James, who told Me of George Ray father of Big James 1794 who was not married ???????????????

Richard