Author Topic: need help with parish records  (Read 8542 times)

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need help with parish records
« on: Monday 26 April 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
hello im starting to look up my family tree and im having a few problems.i cant find birth records for a joseph beeby born 1784 ish in leicstershire, he married elizabeth johnston in st marys church nottingham 21 jul 1811 but cant find parish records for that i dont know how to get parish records up as there a bit confusing to me being a beginer and would like to get hold of the records for it but im having no luck.but i would just like to find out who josephs parents are so i can try and find them.i looked up in national archives but im just a dummy when it comes to things like this,can anybody help me please

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: need help with parish records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
hi missbeeby and welcome to rootschat if you can norrow the birth place down and google it you might just find some think i done this with one of my branches and hit gold with the cumnor parish records but im sure someone will be along shortly to help you.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
thank you i checked the 1841 cencus and all it said was leicestershire so i dont know but was living in loughbourgh at the time so maybe thats where he was born

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
as i said someone who knows more on P/R for this area wil try and sort you out.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
, he married elizabeth johnston in st marys church nottingham 21 jul 1811 but cant find parish records for that

Hi,
welcome to rootschat :)

I'm a bit confused at the above statement
Start at the  beginning: Where did you get the above day, month and year from if it is not from a  Parish /church record?
 Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 April 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
on a little post on ancestry .co.uk but it didnt tell you anything i really like to know who his parents are it didnt tell you that just said there names and date thats it

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 April 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
A Parish Record of that date will not have any parents names.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 April 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Under Hardwicke's Marriage Act 1753, the information recorded in the register is the Parish, County, and year. The names of the bride and groom, the parishes they were from, the name of the Church, whether the marriage was by banns or licence, the consent of the parents if either of the couple were under the age of 21, the date of the marriage, the signature of the minister, the signatures of the couple and the signatures of the witnesses.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 April 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
on the message boards or family trees?

If it's either of the above neither are to be trusted. They are like you or I posting what we believe  , then someone else copies it and takes it as gospel/truth.
You  should know a marriage in that era will not give you parents names.

A baptism will give you a father's name and mother's name ( in the 1800's), where they are living  sometimes an occupation, in the 1700's they sometimes recordered the mother's christian name), it really does depend

If it is some type of extracted record on ancestry - you have the date of the marriage and can consult the Parish record ( which you can do in the local archives to that area by visiting or writing to them ). The marriage will give you witness names , it won't give you parents names

I hope this helps a little

Kind Regards:)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u