Author Topic: Rowlands of Penstrowed montgomeryshire  (Read 6368 times)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rowlands of Penstrowed montgomeryshire
« on: Friday 25 March 05 15:45 GMT (UK) »
My grt grandfather was born here in 1870. His father was David Rowlands born in 1850. The family moved to Middlesex and then to Glamorganshire. I have them in 1881 in Middlesex but do not have access to 1871 census for Montgomeryshire.
IS there anyone else researching this family
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Rowlands of Penstrowed montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
What was your G Grandfather's name ???

I do have access to the 1871 but unfortunately there is no name index.  Do you have a full address in Penstrowed? 

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 05 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the 1851 for David Rowlands and found the following couple of possibilities (note that the ages are slightly wrong with your birth date of 1850):-

Living at Penybank, Llanidloes

Edward Rowlands, farmer age 50 and his wife Sarah age 39 with their children Evan age 18, Edward age 16, Thomas age 12, John age 8, Richard age 5, David age 2, Sarah age 15 and Elizabeth age 7.

OR

Living at Broombush, Penstrowed

Maurice Rowlands, farmer age 37 and his wife Sarah age 33 with their children Pryce age 11, Thomas age 8, John age 5, David age 3, Richard age 1 and Solomon age 1 month.  Also with the family is Maurice's brother-in-law George Rees age 19, an Ag Labourer.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 05 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
The earliest I have the family is 1881 when they were living in Middlesex.
David Rowlands age 31 b Wales Painter
Margaret Rowlands age 31
Edward Rowlands age 12 scholar b Wales -my grt grandfather
Margaret Rowlands age 8 b Wales
 Edward is in the 1901
it is on this census that his birthplace is given as Penstrowed.
At the time of his marriage in 1891 he had moved to the Rhondda valley and then to Nelson Glamorgan. He died in the Senghenyd explosion.His body was never found.
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 05 15:46 BST (UK) »
I have looked at 1861 for your GG Grandfather David - should be about 11/12 years old - and a search reveals that the family that I quoted in 1851 living at Bram Bush, Penstrowed are still living there:-

Maurice Rowlands age 46 and his wife Sarah age 43 and their children:

Thomas age 18 Labourer on the Railway, John age 14 Carrier, David age 12 Scholar, Richard age 11, Saul age 10, Rees age 1 and Servant George Rees age 31.  All born in Penstrowed, except wife Sarah who was born in Mochdre.

There is a strong possibility that this is the correct family.

As for Edward and his family in 1871...............I will have a trawl through the pages and see what I can find.

Jan

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 05 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
Thanks so much for the information. I haven't got access to montgomeryshire records so it is a great help. It looks like a match esp one of the brothers named Richard.

Thank you
Gaynor

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 05 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaynor

I have been going through the pages of the 1871, a slow process without a name index!!!, trying to find David Rowlands with his wife and children - Edward should be about 2 years old.  While I was searching through I came across the Bram Bush address again and Maurice Rowlands is still living there:-

Maurice Rowlands age 57 stone merchant and wife Sarah age 53, Thomas Rowlands son age 27. Rees Rowlands son age 12, George Rees Brother in Law, Carter age 38, Martha Rees Sister in Law, Cook age 50, and one servant

I have been looking for David Rowlands with his family but unfortunately have not yet found him!!! He isn't listed as being in Penstrowed, and without an address this search is taking ages.  Maybe there is someone out there who has the 1891 with a name index.

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
The Carmarthenshire cd for 1841 I have just been looking through for another ancestor is the same. There is no name index.
Thank you for searching and for the time you have spent searching for my rowlands. I think that you may have found the correct family and I shall look using the names you have sent.
I will find them in the end!!
Thanks again for your kindness
Gaynor
Merthyr tydfil

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaynor

I'm glad I was able to help in some way.  I do hope you find your Edward Rowlands.

Best wishes

Jan