Author Topic: mcdonalds of Skye  (Read 11023 times)

Offline young mo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: mcdonalds of Skye
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lynn, but, you are right in that these are not the MacDonalds I'm looking for as they lived in Edinbane.

Angusm there's really no need for your comments re Flora. Perhaps, as she is only a MacDonald by marriage you should not even be mentioning her on a MacDonald topic??????
Morris (Staffs/Leics/Derbys) Jones (Rhyl/Staffs) Pollard (Notts) Wardle (Leics/Derbys) Parsons (Leics) Hardy, Hargeaves (Leics/Debys) Downing, Thomas, Roberts (Nth Wales) Oldershaw White Bucknall Parker (Leics) Bullus (Staffs)

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what the problem is with my wee comment. Just trying to help the unwary. You do need to have your facts right though. Flora was a daughter of Ranald MacDonald II of Balivanich & Milton, a descendant of the MacDonalds of Clanranald and, via an entirely traceable genealogy, of Somerled himself. Not only that, her mother was Marion MacDonald so she could hardly have been more firmly Clan Donald by descent.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Och I......My decendants..as I have it ..John McDonald..1790  1841..Ardvasar..Sleat..Inverness...married..Mary McPherson..1791 ..1876..She died at Penshurst. Scotland..
( not sure where these lot fit in, think they are the children of John and Mary.)
Ranald McDonald..1815-1899      Tomore..Scotland...
John McDonald...1842-1921..Sleat..Isle of Skye.
Ronald McDonald.1865-1936 born at Hamilton Victoria..
Then I found a Donald McDonald who maried Christina McLean, they had a child Christina McDonald...b 1807 and died 1895 in Charlton Victoria...

Then I found Neil McDonald.( my direct line) b 21 Jun. 1828 Sleat Inverness Scotland... His son Donald McDonald...1851 Inverness Scotland...
Neil immigrated to Aust. from the Isle of Skye with his wife Christina, and son Donald along with his mother and other members of his family.From the shipping records he was classed as a Labourer..and was employed at Portland Victoria. Australia. He took up 42 acres in Parish of Bochara (Nth.Hamilton) He died at his daughters home, Margaret McInnes..Hamilton.
Children of Neil McDonald and Christina Robertson were.
Donald McDonald. 1851.
Christina. 1855 Harrow. Vic. Aust.
Ann McDonald. 1859 Sth Hamilton.
Margaret . 1861 Vic. Aust.
Sarah, 1862 Hamilton.Vic. Aust.
John .1864 Harrow. Vic. Aust.

There you have it....so far.. ;D

Offline Boreades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 April 24 17:59 BST (UK) »
My family-lore also says we are all from Skye. All descended from some Macdonalds that moved to London, England. But I'm hitting the infamous brick-wall of birth certificates or census records in England that say nothing more for birthplace than "Scotland". Which gives zero clues as to where I should be looking.

I got excited when GEDmatch told me my very closest genetic match was someone called "Hedgie" in Australia. Trouble is, "Hedgie" put a "@bigpond.com.au" email address on his GEDmatch profile, and now bigpond.com.au no longer exists!  :'(

I've got to a stage which is more like divining than proper research, by trawling through "Find a Grave" records, looking for places that have a higher proportion of similar first names from my family tree (Henry, John, Thomas and William)

So frustrating!   :)