Author Topic: mcdonalds of Skye  (Read 11078 times)

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mcdonalds of Skye
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
this may be a possibilty i found the following info....

mary age 34 b.1820
john age 30 b. 1824
duncan age 3 b. 1951

ages in 1854 when sailed to portland bay from liverpool
they sailed on the Arabian 06/03/1854
their residence was Tormore on the estate of Lord Mcdonald, parish of Sleat county of Inverness.

i have'nt put too much info here in case this is not the mcdonald your looking for, however will have a good sift through and try and link a bit more info togeather .

hope you had a merry christmas also x
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell
Paterson-Ewing-North-Munro-Kemp-Jack

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
so sorry my lovely oooopssss.

i have written duncan it is actualy donald age 3 big appologies there in case anyone notices that one .
Mcdonald-Munro-Mcintosh-Ross-McArter-Urquhart- Cruickshank-Hosack. Croll-Brown-Leckie-Medley. Melville-Hamilton-Bell

Areas: (Highlands) Cromary and Ross-Sutherland-Dundee.Fife-Kirkintilloch-Lenoxtown. Belfast-Australia-New Zealand

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Tormore An Tòrr Mòr (the big hill)

a farm tenanted by the mcdonald family up until about 1890's

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 December 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lynne Katherine..they are "my lot"  from Tomore...Duncan may have been a brother to Donald who was one year old when they came out on the Arabian to Portland, Australia....
Donald McDonald is my direct ancestor..the father of my gran, Mary Jean McDonald..born 1881 Charlton Victoria Australia....
Sorry I have not answered this before..been away...place called Warnambool on the southern coast of Victoria, quite historic as its where a lot of settlers went and started their life in Aus ..don't know a lot of history re Scotland... that is where I am at a disadvantage...so need all the help I can get please.... ;D
Have a great New Year...to all..and I will be back after New Years day.... :)

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 December 11 01:42 GMT (UK) »
hi there please disregard the duncan it was due to being tired and reading too much. now i know we have the right people i can start to send you some info....

you may have to bear with me for a while as i have so much info its starting to blend into one blur....

ive found the place they lived and other relatives they came out to portland with and possibly flora's marriage (aird).

can i just ask, did you want some info also on mcIntosh from skye and is it definalty mc donald not mac donald as it gets a little difficult when finding mc's n mac marriages ha ha .... re. cousions marrying.

will get back to you as soon as

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 December 11 01:51 GMT (UK) »
the family of mcdonalds that sailed togeather were as follows, i will link then in when ive found my other file... see if you recognise any names possibly..

they were all of the same family.....

mary and john the oldest, it shows their ages when sailing
MCDONALD   JAMES   28   b.1826
MCDONALD   JANET   26   b.1828
MCDONALD   KATE   22   b.1832
MCDONALD   RANALD   32   b.1822
MCDONALD   ISABELLA   34   b.1820
MCDONALD   JOHN   12   b.1842
MCDONALD   CATH   10   b.1844
MCDONALD   ANN   8   b.1846
MCDONALD   PEGGY   6   b.1848
MCDONALD   ALEX   0   0.. meaning not yet 1 year old
MCDONALD   NEIL   24   b.1830
MCDONALD   CHRISTY   29   b.1825
MCDONALD   DONALD   3   b. 1851

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 December 11 01:56 GMT (UK) »
they are "my lot"  from Tomore...Duncan may have been a brother to Donald who was one year old when they came out on the Arabian to Portland, Australia....

i just wanted to check with you before doing more posts re. above you say Donald was one year old when he came out on the Arabian now i have him as being three years old when the ship set sail in 1854 yet he was born in 1851 ?? bit confussed there. , as i could not find another family from Tormore..

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 December 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks m'dear for all that info..great..much appreciated...Donald McDonald, as I have it, may have been three, I have him as one, but the family is mine...definately..and the McIntoshes are also mine, as my great grandmother was Christina McIntosh...Will have to get my books out and get what I have and let you know..may take a day or two, if you'll bear with me..OK  back after the New Year..have a good one... 8) ;D

Offline lynne kathrine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 December 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
hi there. have a happy new year and yes it may take a bit longer for me to sort the papers i threw on the floor last night, I chuckle to myself.

however i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a goose chase as I'me not any kind of professional genealogist and the mcdonald/macdonald family's have passed on so many first names also...