Author Topic: Death Connolly St Helier Jersey  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Connolly St Helier Jersey
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 03:03 BST (UK) »
I am researching my ggg grandparents:

Lieut Peter Connolly died 27 Feb 1835 - & was buried 2 March 1835 at St Helier

Elizabeth Connolly died 13 Dec 1855, I think also St Helier.

Would someone be kind enough to see if there is any more information available - ie informants? relative's names?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Perth

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death Connolly St Helier Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Perth

PC's death is in the parish records but has no other information. I've also searched cemetaries, army records and funeral directors records (which are few and far between) and found nothing.

As for EC, she died after civil registration started so I need to see the death certificate which I can do later this week. (St Helier deaths, volume 10, page 99).

There is a mention in the Cronique de Jersey, 15th Dec 1855 recording the death of EC but merely states that she was the widow of PC and was aged 72 years.

One thing I haven't done is search the births which I will also do on Thursday.

Stewart

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Stewart

Thank you for your very prompt reply. 

I would be interested to know if there is any mention of a Charlotte Hooper - wife of Thomas Hooper as she received Elizabeth's navy widow's pension on Elizabeth's death.  I don't know who she is or if she is related in some way to Elizabeth & Peter Connolly. 

I can't find Charlotte or Thomas Hooper in any census but at the time of Elizabeth's death her address was Meadow View, Beaumont, Jersey.  Perhaps she is a daughter? or sister?

Many thanks,
Perth

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Perth

I've now had a chance to look at the death certificate for EC and yes, she died 13th Dec 1855 (at 06:20AM to be precise!). At the time she was living at Belmot Place, St Helier. The death was reported by Elizabeth Canning (the "a" is a guess as it could be anything). EC was aged 72 years and died of viellepe (whatever that is).

I've looked through all the 1790-1842 Connolly births and marriages and can find no connections with PC/EC.

I find it strange that CH would receive PC/EC's pension on EC's death. Presumably you have a source?

Stewart

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,
My source of information re both Peter & Elizabeth Connolly's deaths etc is The National Archives.  Unfortunatley, informaton they provided is very little - they supplied only 2 pages for PC & 1 for EC in answer to my requests for information.

PC's information gave death as 27 Feb 1835, address as Gloucester St, St Helier - half pay of 13 pounds 1 shilling to go to widow Elizabeth Connolly & copy of letter from Thos Orange? (Curate) re burial on 2 Mar 1835.
EC's gave death as 13 Dec 1855 - widow's pension of 8 pound 10 shillings - Name & address of claimant Charlotte Hooper wife of Thomas Hooper - Ext. according to terms of Will - address Meadow View, Beaumont, St Helier.
I have tried to find all these people on 1841 thru to 1901 census using both name & address searches to no avail.  All these people including Elizabeth Canning are proving very elusive.

Thanks again, for all your help.  Regards, Perth