Author Topic: William Harwood-Armourer Sargt.  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Lesley1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Harwood-Armourer Sargt.
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth of my grt grt grandfather William Harwood who died in Nusseerabad India in 1881. He was born somewhere in England in 1842! He was Armourer Sargt 29th Regt, married with 4 children.
Can anyone please help me?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Harwood-Armourer Sargt.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Lesley.

What do you know about William? Father's name? Wife's name? Names of children? Were all the children born in India?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hullo and welcome to rootschat :)

If you looked him up on freebmd website, as you know he was bornin 1842, you should be able to find his birth registrartion and buy the cert.  That would give his parents names and then you could trace his childhood thru subsequent census.

charlotte

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi...there are TEN William Harwood  b 1842 on freebmd so we need more info if possible....we might find William / wife and children in 1871 census in England if we are lucky and you have  their names...this will give us Williams place of birth and consequently his reg on freebmd.........there`s 3 in Boston,Lincs b 1842 so fingers crossed he`s not from Boston- otherwise it`s 3 certs to buy.....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lesley1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi to Shaun, Charlotte and Garstonite, Thanks for your help.
Its a long story, so here goes.
I'm tracing this line backwards from my grandfather, his father Henry George was born in Barbados, bapt. cert gives his father as William, mother as Ann (no maiden names, places,etc as is on Brit certs). Through National Archives Military records I found he was in Barbados then India where he died. In this record wife is named, children are only ages, I have traced most not all through find my past. I find by the military record there were 5 children, child1 bn1862, child2 bn1866,Henry George bn 1871(my line), Violet Emily bn1877, Clara Gertrude bn1879 d1881. William died on active service in 1881 at 39yrs and I calculated his birth year from this. Anne returned to England a year later with 3 children.
The family was out of England from at least 1870 to 1882, missing census returns and I cannot find them on 1891 so don't know if they were still travelling or not together or in an army camp somewhere, after that Henry George and Violet married and I have their info.
Before Will and Ann left England I don't know the names of the early children of the marriage or the district they were living in and there are many William Harwoods married to Ann all over England, I have no way to connect them to my pair.
I googled William Harwood-armourer Sargt and came across some listings from a rootschat in 2008. Definitely my man, so I signed up in the hope those people were still around. I really appreciate your help and anything else you can add would be great.
 :) Lesley

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
Henry G, Violet E and Clara G are all reported as births in the 29th regiment returns. You should be able to order birth certificates in the normal way.

The regimental births references are:

Henry G:  Barbados 29th  1871  Volume 1013 Page21 
Violet E:  Aldershot 29th  1877  Volume 1013 Page 31
Clara G:  Mhow 29th  1879  Volume 1013 Page 35 

The webpage for 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment shows the movements of 29th Foot and you can see the correlations - Barbados 1871, Aldershot 1877, India 1881. http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/bat_1

I'll have a look for that previous thread

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 13:01 BST (UK) »

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
Looks like Violet's birth at Aldershot was also registered with the civil authority:

Births Q/e Mar 1878 

Harwood  Violet Emily     Farnham  2a 98

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
I'm on a roll here!

Ann Martha Harwood married in Nasirabad in 1882

Army marriages Nasirabad    1882  Page 387