Author Topic: thompsons and keytes  (Read 4472 times)

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thompsons and keytes
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 05:38 BST (UK) »
 :D
Hi, I am trying, with great difficulty, to find my gr.grandfather Charles Keyte Thompson.  As there are a lot of Keytes and Thompsons in Braidwood area I thought there may be someone who has knowledge of this person. He would have been born about 1862. His "father" could have been George Keyte Thompson or Joseph Royer Thompson. I would appreciate any help.
Many thanks
C

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: thompsons and keytes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hiya C and welcome to Rootschat..
did Charles Keyte marry ?.....if so, what was his wifes christian name ?   and do you know where he went to live and where he died ?......this will make it easier to research and possibly find him in earlier census returns with his father and mother....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan and thanks for your quick reply.
There is no nswbdm for Charles Keyte Thompson. He was apparently born in Sydney though?  He went to San Francisco but I do not know when, and he married a Hulda Larsson in 1892.  My grandfather Harold (later changed it to Keyte Harold) was born 31st March 1893.  He had a brother born 1894. The family returned to Sydney 1895 where in 1898 Hulda died. Charles remarried in 1902 to Marie Frances Stafford.  His mothers family (Olliffe's) occupied 4/6/8/ Francis St, Hyde Park (Woolloomooloo). When Charles remarried he was living at No.25. He died in 1936 at 51 Prince St.Mosman.
Because I cannot find his birth anywhere I have turned to the Braidwood area where it seems there are a lot of Keytes and Thompsons.  Was he adopted?  Was he illegitimate??? Who knows.
I appreciate you kind help. Thank you.
Regards...Carole

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Do you have the details from the 1902 marriage?
You mention his mother's family, so I guess you have some information on her? Can you trace where she was over the years?

For example, if you find that she later married to a Thompson, then that part of the name might just be Charles' stepfather's.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
 :),
Marriage certificate Reg No.08609...Charles Keyte Thompson and Marie Frances Stafford. 31/12/1902 Registrar General's Office, Elizabeth St, Sydney. Charles is down as an Engineer's Labourer. Aged 40. Living at 25 Francis St,Sydney.
Father: George Keyte Thompson (deceased)
Mother:Frances Ellen Olliffe (deceased 1901)
Father's Occupation: Master Mariner

Charles Keyte Thompson......
Death Certificate:09399  28 May 1936 at 51 Prince St. Mosman Municipality.
Retired Wharfinger, Old Age Pensioner.  Aged 73
Father:  ? Thompson
Father's Occupation: Not Known
Mother-Maiden Name: Not Known
Informant: K.H. Thompson, Son, 496 Oxford St, Waverley.  He was born in 1893 in San Francisco. Came back to Aust. in 1895. and probably never knew his grandparents as they died when he was only young)
Buried: C of E Cemetery, Waverley
Spouse: Hulda Larsson(2 boys born San Francisco)
              Marie Stafford (no children)

If I was only able to get hold of his 1st marriage certificate I might have more information as to his real father. Because he married in San Francisco most of the records were destroyed in the great earthquake and fire, I believe?
Maybe his mother, on her deathbed in 1901, told him who his real father was  OR  maybe Joseph Royer has other names?
Joseph Royer's 1st son (which has all the necessary registration and baptism records) full name is...John Francis George Royer Thompson.  A mouthful, to say the least. That is why I wonder if Joseph has more than just Royer in his name.
I really do appreciate any help you are able to give me.  I have been banging my head up against a brick wall for about 18months.
Thank you again.
Regards....Carole

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I forgot to mention that Frances Ellen Olliffe, married to Joseph Royer Thompson in 1850 at St.Laurence's Church, Sydney,, came from Cork Ireland when she was five. Her 1st and only marriage was to Joseph Royer Thompson to whom she had her 1st 2 children.......John Francis George Royer Thompson and Florence Hermoine Muller Thompson (Later married to a Dean) and all registered correctly. Charles Keyte Thompson came along about 9 years later and has no such registrations.
Again I thank you for your kindness in trying to help me with this problem.
Regards.......Carole

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 01:18 BST (UK) »
Do you have her death certificate?
( presuming she is the Frances E. Thompson registered in 1901 with parents Joseph B. and Ann)
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15
 - she might also be the F. E. Thompson in this index.

Do you know what happened to Joseph Royer Thompson?

It seems possible that Charles was the son of a George Keyte, born illegitimately to Frances Ellen Thompson
Or that he was the son of George Keyte and ???, adopted/raised by Frances?

There was a George Sheridan Keyte; he married in 1853 to Adelaide N. Webb and they had two children (1854, 1856), but he may have also been the father of a child born to a Mary in 1864.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1863/01/017eli.htm
 - he was also a master mariner.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15886328?searchTerm=%22George+Sheridan+Keyte%22 - this seems to be an obituary for his second wife, but where/when the marriage was and where Charles might fit in I'm not sure.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:09 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi,
Death of Francis Ellen Olliffe died 24/4/1901 in 6 Francis St, Hyde Park at 72yrs.of age.  Ref.No.1901/3873.
She was a widow and her father was:Joseph Benjamin Olliffe.  Occupation:Cooper.  Mother: Ann Osborne.  She married Joseph Royer Thompson at 21 yrs.of age.
Children of marriage: John Francis George Royer Thompson (known as Frederick) 49.
                                  Florence Hermoine Muller Thompson (Hermine F.Dean)47                     
                                  Charles Keyte Thompson 40
All living.
Informant: Chas Thompson, son, 6 Francis St, Hyde Park.
Buried:       C of E Cemetery, Long Bay (actually in South Coogee)
Witnesses  Chas Thompson and Hugh Hayes

Death of Joseph Royer Thompson: ?????
Buried:  ?????
It is only known that he died before Frances Ellen.

I hope this information can be of some help to you.
Many thanks,
Carole :)

Offline keyte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi team,
It is very interesting to note that George S. Keyte was a master mariner. Are you able to find Joseph Royer Thompson as a Master Mariner also.  They may have been VERY good friends.
Cheers,
Carole ???