Author Topic: marriage in hadleigh, 1810  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ang41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage in hadleigh, 1810
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
I am searching for more information on a marriage of John Wigner and Rachel Knight, IGI say 27 January 1810 in Hadleigh, Suffolk.  They had two children, William and Rachel, then Rachel Knight died and he married a Susan Knight who was a widow on 20 January 1820 at St Dunstan's, Stepney, London (I wonder if she was the widow of Rachel's brother or just a coincidence that they had the same surname).  Many thanks for any rays of hope!!
Regards Angela

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: marriage in hadleigh, 1810
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she was the widow of Rachel's brother

What was Rachel's brothers name then  ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline ang41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
I am not even sure that she had a brother - it was just one possibility if his second wife's surname was the same as his first wife!!

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
The only way is to trace the birth of Susan Knight to see if there was a brother, do you have any idea of her place and date of birth as its such a common name  ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline ang41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
No, all I have is that Rachel Knight married John Wigner in 1810 and died before 1820 when John was a widower married a Susan (or Susannah as she appears on a later census) Knight and was a widow,  in 1820 in London.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does the census give a place of birth for Susan/Susannah as that might help to trace her first marriage?

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ang41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, on the 1851 census she is shown living with her son John Thomas Wigner in South Lynn (Norfolk) and as his housekeeper as he had been widowered and she was born in Harwich, Essex,

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Still trying to narrow her down, on the IGI there are 11 Susannah and 1 Susan Knight which I feel could be her.

Extracted record.

Susan Knight ch. 16.9.1792 Ingatstone, Essex  father Robert  mother Elizabeth.

Were there any children from this second marriage  ??? if so thier names might be a clue as to her parents .

Checking the IGI batch number which goes up until 1812  it is not showing  any more children born to this couple  at least not in that area. :(

Offline ang41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you - but don't forget that Knight was Susan's married name as she is shown as a widow on her marriage to John Wigner - that is what makes me think I have probably got to accept that I have drawn a blank!  Sadly!   His first wife was Rachel Knight and she was a spinster on marriage - very complicated!  I suppose I need to find Rachel's parents - she also was born in Harwich - and see if she had a brother who married a Susan/Susanna!