Author Topic: Hegarty, Dillon, Diamond  (Read 19374 times)

Offline PRafferty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hegarty, Dillon, Diamond
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,
                        All this info is great, thanks for posting it!  I wonder if there is anyway we can confirm this Susan Saxe was a Hegarty from Glenullin.

Also, I'm not sure about that marriage record.  Do you mean this marriage record?;

Of Florence Saxe to Joseph H Roche on 25th November 1908. in Kings, Brooklyn, New York.  Certificate Number 9040.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, think that Florence and Joseph Roche were married in 1908 (as per marriage). Might have been older child/children away from home by 1930. 1910 and 1920 census would probably confirm this.

Still haven't found marriage for Charles Saxe to Susan ? but the fact that 1930 gives her birthplace as N.I. is encouraging.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
1920 Census- Kings Co. (partial)
Joseph H. Roche
wife Florence M. Riche 31 N.Y. father- Holland mother- Ireland

Offline k46489

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 April 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
Yes this is my great-great Aunt Susan. My grandmother often mentioned a cousin named Florence Roche.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 April 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Looks like we've found Susan (Hegarty) Saxe then!

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 30 April 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
I have done research on this Hegarty Dillon family and will paste here 2 generations. I have much more if you are interested plus photos and documents.
Mary Dillon was my ggrandfather's sister.

I can only post the first generation here because if I try to post the 2 generations, it is too many characters. 2nd generation to follow.

Patrick Hegarty Family
First Generation

1. Patrick Hegarty. He was born abt 1830. Patrick died on 25 Jul 1880 in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland.

Patrick Hegarty mentioned in his Will his wife Mary and son Dennis. He wrote his Will on 10 July 1880 and died  25 July 1880 in Brockaghboy. The witnesses to his Will were George Dillon, John Diamond and John Lynch. The children of Patrick Hegarty and Mary Dillon were born in Brockaghboy. It is most likely that the John Diamond who witnessed the Will is the same John Diamond married to Catherine Dillon, a sister of Patrick’s wife Mary Dillon. It is also most likely that the George Dillon who signed the Will is a brother to Mary Dillon, wife of Patrick Hegarty. It is most likely that this George Dillon mentioned in the Will is my greatgrandfather who was living in Brockaghboy at that time and not the George Dillon who lived in Brockagh.

He married Mary Dillon, daughter of Dennis Dillon (abt 1801-1891) & Mary Diamond, bef 1856. She was born in Coolcoscreaghan, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, abt 1833. Mary died on 3 Mar 1895 in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland.

According to Mary Hegarty’s will, she sold everything and left 20 pounds to her daughter Martha in America, 20 pounds to her daughter Catherine in America, 1 shilling to daughter Rose Rafferty, 1 shilling to son Dennis, 1 shilling to daughter Susan Sex, and 1 shilling to son Daniel. The balance of money from the farm was to be divided equally among Patrick, Mary and John Hegarty. The executors were listed as Francis Hagan of Brockagh and Dennis Dillon of Coolcoscreaghan. The witness was Dennis Dillon.

Mary Dillon, born about 1833, is a sister to my greatgrandfather, George Dillon of Brockaghboy. Mary would have been born about 1833 according to her death record and the birth of her earliest child that I have found was in 1856. A George Dillon acted as a sponsor to her son who was born in 1863. A Catherine Dillon was a sponsor in 1856 and a Francis Dillon and Rosey Dillon acted as sponsors in 1857. These people would most likely be siblings or first cousins to Mary. Since Mary mentioned in her will that Dennis Dillon was the executor and also a witness, it is most likely that Mary was also a sister to Dennis Dillon of Coolcoscreaghan. Her parents would therefore be Dennis Dillon and Mary Diamond.

According to the Irish death index, Mary was 62 when she died which suggests a birth year of about 1833.

Will-PRONI
Title:           
Forename: Mary    
Surname:    Hegarty    
Alt Surname:       

Date Of Death:    03/03/1895    
Date Of Grant:    05/04/1897    
Effects:    Effects £121 15s.    
Registry:    Londonderry    
Full Abstract:
Probate of the Will of Mary Hegarty late of Brockaghbuoy County Londonderry Widow who died 3 March 1895 granted at Londonderry to Francis Hagan of Brockagh and Denis Dillon of Coolcoscreaghan both in said County Farmers

They had the following children:
   2   i.   Dennis
   3   ii.   Martha (2 Jun 1856-)
   4   iii.   Rose (12 Dec 1857-28 Feb 1939)
   5   iv.   Susan (4 Jul 1861-)
   6   v.   Daniel (28 Apr 1863-19 Aug 1864)
   7   vi.   Martha (Jan 1864-24 Aug 1864)
   8   vii.   Martha (26 Feb 1865-)
   9   viii.   Patrick (4 Feb 1869-)
   10   ix.   Mary (1 Mar 1871-)
   11   x.   John (4 Jul 1873-)
   12   xi.   Catherine (4 Jul 1875-)
   13   xii.   Daniel

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 April 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
Patrick Hegarty Family
2nd Generation

Second Generation

Family of Patrick Hegarty  & Mary Dillon

2. Dennis Hegarty (Patrick).

Dennis is mentioned in his father’s and mother’s wills. No birth or baptismal record has been found for Dennis. Since the son Dennis is mentioned first in both wills, he most likely was the oldest son. Dennis immigrated.

3. Martha Hegarty (Patrick). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 2 Jun 1856. She was baptized in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 2 Jun 1856. Baptismal Sponsor: Lawrence Hegarty, Catherine Dillon.

This child died young as another daughter was given the same name several years later.

4. Rose Hegarty (Patrick). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 12 Dec 1857. She was baptized in Errigal Parish Church, Errigal Parish,  Co. Derry, Ireland, on 12 Dec 1857. Rose died in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 28 Feb 1939; she was 81. She was buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland. Baptismal Sponsor: Francis Dillon, Rosey “ditto” (most likely Dillon also).

Rose is mentioned as Rose Rafferty in her mother’s will.

Research: Born about 1861 according to 1901 Laragh census.

She married William Rafferty, son of John Rafferty (abt 1825-18 Nov 1877) & Nancy “Ann Agnes” O’Kane (-31 Mar 1887), on 23 Apr 1882 in St. Joseph’s, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland. Witnesses, Michael Quigg, Mary Diamond. He was born in Laragh, Desertoghill Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 13 Apr 1851. William died in Coolcoscreaghan, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 28 Jul 1942; he was 91. He was buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland.6 Baptismal Sponsor: Ed. Patrick MacNeil, Jane Kane, Lara.

William Rafferty died at about age 96 around 1942 or 1943. According to the 1901 Laragh census, William was born about 1851. He was age 87 according to his death certificate. He died from senile decay at Coolcoscreaghan. W. Rafferty of Craigavole was present at his death.

Research: 1901 Census, Laragh, Desertoghill Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland
William Rafferty 50
Rose  40
Annie  16
Mary  14
Martha  12
Rose  10
Catherine  8
John  6
William  4

1911 Laragh, Desertoghill Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland
Rafferty family living on land owned by Patrick Dillon.
William Rafferty 62, b. Derry,
Rose  56  marr. 30 years, 8 children, 7 living in 1911
Rose daughter 21-needlework
William son 15 scholar

They had the following children:
   14   i.   Annie
   15   ii.   Mary
   16   iii.   Martha
   17   iv.   Rose
   18   v.   Catherine
   19   vi.   John
   20   vii.   William
   21   viii.   Veronica

5. Susan Hegarty (Patrick). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 4 Jul 1861. She was baptized in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 4 Jul 1861. Baptismal Sponsor: Hugh O’Kane, Susy Hegarty.

Susan was left one shilliing in her mother’s will. It is thought that she immigrated to America.

She married Unknown Sex bef 1895.

Surname mentioned in Mary Hegarty’s will.

6. Daniel Hegarty (Patrick). He was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 28 Apr 1863. Daniel died in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 19 Aug 1864; he was 1. He was baptized in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 28 Apr 1863. Baptismal Sponsor: George Dillon, Mary O’Kane.

Daniel died from diptheria at age 1 year and 4 months.

7. Martha Hegarty (Patrick). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, in Jan 1864. Martha died on 24 Aug 1864 in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland.

Martha was probably born about January 1864 as she died at the age of 8 months from diptheria which she had had for 27 days according to her death record.

8. Martha Hegarty (Patrick). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 26 Feb 1865.

Martha is listed in her mother’s 1895 will as living in America.

9. Patrick Hegarty (Patrick1). He was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 4 Feb 1869.

Patrick immigated.

10. Mary Hegarty (Patrick). She was born on 1 Mar 1871.

Mary and Paddy Heaney did not have children.

She married Paddy Heaney.

11. John Hegarty (Patrick). He was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 4 Jul 1873.

John immigrated.

12. Catherine Hegarty (Patrick1). She was born in Brockaghboy, Errigal Parish, Co. Derry, Ireland, on 4 Jul 1875.

Catherine was said to be in America about 1895 when her mother wrote her will.

13. Daniel Hegarty (Patrick).

Daniel is mentioned in his mother’s 1895 will. He is left one shilling.  Daniel immigrated.

Offline Sheila8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 April 10 04:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas Dillon was my grandmother's brother. He was killed while riding a bicycle in Strabane in 1943. I would love to have a copy about the accident as I do not have that. Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 April 10 07:41 BST (UK) »
Irish Times, 24 July 1943, DEATH FOLLOWS CYCLE CRASH  Mr. Thomas Dillon, a well-known building contractor and farmer residing at Townparks, Strabane, was fatally injured yersterday while cycling along Railway street, Strabane. He came into collision with a passenger ‘bus which was travelling empty. He received such severe injuries that he died shortly afterwards in Tyrone County Hospital, Omagh. He was aged 69 and was a native of Garvagh, Co, Derry.