Author Topic: My grandfather: Victoria immigrant c. 1950 - lookup please  (Read 4014 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
My grandfather: Victoria immigrant c. 1950 - lookup please
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to look up information about my grandfather's immigration to Australia, and also his marriage certificate.

The details: his name was William Robert Stanley Llewellyn Davies, born 1903 in Harrow, Middlesex, UK.  He emigrated in the late 1940s/early 50s (sorry, I don't have a more specific date) and I know that in 1954, he is on the electoral register in the state of Victoria (district: La Trobe, subdistrict: Croydon).  He is living with his wife, Elizabeth, in Ferndale Rd, Mt Evelyn (source: Ancestry).

Some years ago, my mother managed to get a copy of his death certificate - he died on 23 April 1958.  I know that he suffered a heart attack fighting a bush fire in Millicent, S Australia, and someone from this board a few years ago managed (quite incredibly!) to get me photos of his gravestone.

In short: my grandfather deserted my grandmother, moved to Australia (c. 1950) and married bigamously.  I would really appreciate any information anyone might be able to find on: his move to Australia and the bigamous marriage.  I have very little information about my grandfather, or even photos, as he was persona non grata within the family, for leaving my gran.  My mum was really hurt when she got a copy of his death certificate, as under the section which says 'children', it was recorded as 'none' - presumably this had come from his second wife, Elizabeth, who probably had no knowledge of his previous life in England.

Many thanks for any help.

Clara  :)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather: Victoria immigrant c. 1950 - lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again Clara,

I remember this one.  ;D Fascinating - Links to previous threads

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,160615.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163139.0.html

departed London 14 Dec 1848 aboard the ORCADES. He was ticketed to Melbourne.

DAVIES WRSL - He was aged 45,  English, a Farmer, address in UK: The Flat, Home Farm, East Hampstead Park nr Wokingham.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kris - absolutely brilliant that you've found his immigration details so quickly - thanks so much for that.  Haha, a 'farmer' - no way!  But great to have his address at the time.

I'm stunned that you've managed to find this information so quickly.  Thank you so much.

Clara  ;D
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
By the way: just wanted to say, I'm revisiting information I was seeking 4 years ago.

Sadly, I didn't get some of the answers I was looking for at the time (esp about my grandfather's bigamous marriage), but I'm very aware that so much more information has become available online (eg Ancestry) over recent years.  Kris's information about my grandfather's immigration is a first for me.

Clara   ;)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

Unfortunately marriages for that period are not available. Cut off point for SA is 1937 and Vic 1942. I will try the newspapers when I am at the library next for anything on the fires or an obit - Don't think I did 4 years ago as you had the SEFHS helping. I will only be able to check SA papers so may be no obit here if he was living in Vic. Perhaps someone else can try Vic Papers.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara

I've had a look at the Adelaide Advertiser for the period April 5, which is when the fires were at Wandilo where eight people were killed, and others injured.  According to the newspaper report they were all employees of the Forestry Commission of South Australia.  6 were named at the time but not the other two and obviously Lou did not die till later.

http://www.forestry.sa.gov.au/history.stm  is the contact for the Forestry Commission who may be worth an email.

There was no death/funeral notice in the Adelaide Advertiser up to April 28. 

As has already been said, his grave caused someone to go to some trouble and expense.   I'm surprised the cemetery doesn't have some record of who it was or who the undertaker was. 

I'm waiting on copies of the Border Watch, the local newspaper to be brought out for me.  Will let you know!

Perhaps he and Elizabeth weren't married at all.  Also he could easily have been living in S A as it's four years after the electoral roll entry.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Can you check Vic? At the time of his death he was living at Fernvale, Mt Elenlen. He was in SA fighting the fires so I would expect any Obit from family would likely be in Vic papers.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 06:23 BST (UK) »
There does not appear to be a place or locality called Fernvale in Victoria. 

I know that in 1954, he is on the electoral register in the state of Victoria (district: La Trobe, subdistrict: Croydon).  He is living with his wife, Elizabeth, in Ferndale Rd, Mt Evelyn
Clara

The electoral roll listing for 1954 shows Fernvale not Ferndale Road.

Australian Electoral Roll
DAVIES William Robert L  61 Blackwood Street, Yarraville  Packer

there wasn't an Ian in his name
Clara
He enrolled with Ian in 1954.
DAVIES Elizabeth 12 Collins Street, Melbourne   Clerk
DAVIES William Robert Ian Llewellyn  12 Collins Street, Melbourne  Caretaker

DAVIES Elizabeth  Fernvale Road, Mt Evelyn  Clerk
DAVIES William Robert S   Fernvale Road, Mt Evelyn  Labourer

A listing on an electoral roll does not confirm that the person enrolled was actually at that address on the day of the 1954 election eg the 1949 electoral enrolment for William at Yarraville was crossed out and Croydon and a date entered.  He had also moved twice in the period before the 1954 election. 

It would appear whoever gave the information for his South Australian death certificate may have confused the names.

I also find it a little odd that the cemetery can give you no further details from the burial register.

Perhaps your mother could make contact with the Victorian bdm's...email address on their website even if they would do a search between 1948 and 1954 for a marriage.  Of course he may not have married Elizabeth.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08jt/
7.5.0 Children (applying for parent’s information)
7.5.1 Conditions of Access
In general, for children of the registered person to be granted access to information they must:
• For the marriage certificate:
Note - only a child of the marriage or one of the parties to the marriage will be granted access to the marriage certificate.
* Submit an application in the approved form,
* Provide reasons why they seek the information,
* Provide a copy of their birth certificate to verify they are a child of the marriage or that they are a child of one of the parties to the marriage,
* If either of the parties to the marriage is living, provide written authority from one of the parties to the marriage allowing the child to access the information along with three forms of POI documents from the party to the marriage. (Note: if no written permission can be provided the marriage certificate is restricted for 60 years after the date of marriage or after both parties to the marriage are deceased, whichever is the later); and
* Provide three forms of POI documents to allow BDM to verify their
identity.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 06:25 BST (UK) »
Have done already Kris - how are we sure he was in Vic in 1958?  I thought the last mention was 1954 census?  I could not see him on the 1958 census in Millicent - but he could be in another divison.  The early ones are hard to look up as they are recorded by Division.  

There is no mention of him (not that I could see, anyway) in the local paper Border Watch, either in the news section or the paid Death/funeral notices up to 29 April.  The local Undertaker at the time seems to be Ern James of Mt Gambier.

The April 5 fire when the nine men were killed was in a State Forest and was out later that day so it does not seem as though it would have needed firefighters from other States being sent.  He was certainly not one of the victims nor mentioned as being in hospital.

So sad - one of the men who died had only been married less than a year and his wife had a baby about a week after the fire.  :'(

Judith  ???
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk