Author Topic: Royal Artillery Service Records from the 1870s  (Read 23466 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Artillery Service Records from the 1870s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 10 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Hurley42. The Army "pensioners" records 1873-1882 are now released on FindMyPast but I don't see your John Nixon there. There is one of that name born circa 1842 in Newtonbutler, Fermanagh, but he was in the 83rd Foot.

Josh Jones - what was your artillery man's name ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josh jones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi:   His name was Samuel Dudley (his father's surname was Dudley alias Bright, so sometimes they go by Bright).  He was born 1799 Essex, England.  I also wonder why I cannot find any trace of him on any census reports for England, again, something to do with Ireland do you think?  I'm already with ancestry...can reciprocate.  Many thanx josh

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Josh,

I tracked down that newspaper article which said that this was an "East Hammingford" family, and that there was a brother who had joined the Royal Artllery very young, was discharged on a pension,  and had died in Dublin around 1872.

I can't find a Samuel Dudley (or Bright) that fits the bill but per the IGI for East Hanningford there was an older brother William baptised in 1792.

I am wondering if this is him (papers at National Archives, due to be released for viewing on FindMyPast sometime in 2011):

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-4054534

"WO 97/1215  Royal Artillery: Bot - Bro

WILLIAM BRIGHT
Born EAST HAM, Essex
Served in Royal Artillery
Discharged aged 41
1806-1832 "

This suggests a birth year circa 1791 so fits with the William Dudley baptism.

FamilySearch Rcord Search has the death registration of a William Bright in Sligo in 1870, aged 80. Might be him

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08nv/

There's also a William Dudly who died in Cork in 1866, aged 74. Another possibility.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08nu/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josh jones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your help.  You've made me realize a couple of things...the Irish question, looking at the archives I see that Kilmainham(spelling) Hospital is in Dublin, which takes care of that part.  I had looked at the archives, at the time I shrugged off this Bright from East Ham (there is an East Ham in Essex - I come from Essex), but then it could be East Ham. (as in short for East Hamingfield) - I could see how that could happen.  I have not found their parents marriage, so yet another alternative could be that he was born in East Ham (all supposing here...) and baptized in East Hanningfield.  I'm curious enough that I've ordered it in.  I should add that I have ordered records from the archives before that had been entered incorrectly, that I had ordered anyway on a hunch and it turned out good.  I did have the baptisms (went through the actual parish register on film years ago with obviously poor notes) but had dismissed William as his father was also called William, and there was a burial record for a William but no age given and I had inadvertently added the death date for both father and son (and then never bothered to look at it again).  I don't seem to see a William Bright born East Ham on any census reports at ancestry, which helps with the idea that this may be my man.  Looks like the records will be coming online...eventually...story of my life!  You've helped enormously...thanks so much. 

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ

Many thanks for looking for Henry's record. I suspect it may turn up when the preceding decade is placed on the web as the photo is judged to be from c1870.

If it does not surface then I gather that his record has not survived or that the interpretation of the uniform could be incorrect.

What do you think ?

Offline Fear na mara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 July 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
This is such a long shot. My grandmother’s birth certificate gives Infantry Barracks Waterford as place of birth 7/3/1878 (do. Bapt. Cert). Father’s name John Smyth, occupation soldier. Mother’s maiden name, Smith ( how bad can it get?). I knew great-grandmother well – she died aged 104 – but as she remarried about 1905 no mention was made of her first husband. Grandmother did not like children, and I was pleased to keep out of her way so have no information from that source.
I think Waterford was home to a unit of Royal Artillery at that time – Google has not been helpful. Is there a realistic way forward to get information on John SMyth, or should I just forget it?
Elliot,  Baverstock,  Shennan, Glover, Radcliffe

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 July 10 07:23 BST (UK) »
Findmypast may have his service record online. There would have been artillery in Waterford, but as the name suggests the barracks would have housed infantry as well.

You should also check the regimental BMDs on Findmypast. They are not complete but they include lots of home events. They give regiment in the index. It would help if you gave her forename, together with that of her mother.

Ken

Offline Fear na mara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to you KM. I took the subscription to FindMyPast and found HIM. You were also right about infantry being at Waterford. John was not RA but infantry. His marriage to my great-grandmother, Sarah, is recorded in his service papers and, for once, family myths had some substance, he was twice posted to Aldershot. Nine pages of service record with extensive detail will need to be scrutinised carefully.
It was Rootschat that helped locate my other great-grandfather and put me in touch with relatives I did not know I had. As I said then, the grand tradition of dedicated, knowledgeable amateurs thrives and demonstrates that the lovers-of-wisdom don't do it for the money.
Many thanks
E
Elliot,  Baverstock,  Shennan, Glover, Radcliffe

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
Which regiment was he in? Waterford was in the district with headquarters in Clonmel, and the Royal Irish Regiment (18th of Foot) were the local infantry. But it could be another regiment on station.

Ken