Author Topic: public health graves  (Read 6179 times)

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
public health graves
« on: Wednesday 28 April 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
hello i was wondering if anyone can answer my qeustion.i found out my great grandad was buried in 1936 then his wife died in 1961 but dont know but they told me she was not buried with her husband but in a public health grave with 5 people in the same cemertary. i thought really that she would of been buried with her husband as do you not own a plot or is it rented?and is a public health grave a porpers grave because i wouldnt of thought they still did them in 1961 ,can anyone solve this for me

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: public health graves
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:08 BST (UK) »
It sounds unlikely that her husband is buried in a private grave.  I would guess he is also in a public burial plot

You don't rent burial plots - you buy them

I have never heard them called public health graves before - always known as paupers graves or public graves
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
thank you very much at the grave site  they found my  great granddad first and they just said yes he is buried her grave me the grave number and said that he has no headstone  then i asked about my great grandma and he said no hes buried on his own he didnt say he was buried with anyone else,then he phoned me back after ten minutes and said yes we have found such and such she is at the other end of the cemertary in a public health grave and said she buried with 5 other people.did they really have public or porpers graves in 1961???????????????????????

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
did they really have public or porpers graves in 1961

They would still have them today but for cremation.

If somebody dies and nobody assumes responsibility for the body - the council have to foot the bill for the funeral.  Years ago - a paupers funeral was known as being buried "on the parish"

I don't know what area is involved here but possibly there was no crematorium in that particular borough at that time hence the burial
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 19:28 BST (UK) »
thank you for your help

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
My great grandad is buried in "an unpurchased" grave, ie. a paupers grave. A long with others and  no headstone.
My great grand ma was buried  40 years later by the family in a bought plot !!!!!
Caron.
Dennison. Kendal,Whitwell and Selside.
Stobbart. Kendal. Elterwater. Northumberland.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
do you think they will tell me who my great grandads plot was brought by or who it belongs to then cus there must be some reason why she didnt go in the same plot as him.i cant imagine my grandad and his sister not being able to pay for there own mothers funeral it really dont make sence to me.you guys are so helpfull though its nice to know that either someone is in the same situation or some one who knows whats going off cheers you guys :) :) :) :)

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
If you google the name of the cemetery it will tell you who runs it, ours is the local council.
I went to the local council offices and they were really helpful.
Good Luck , Caron
Dennison. Kendal,Whitwell and Selside.
Stobbart. Kendal. Elterwater. Northumberland.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
i cant imagine my grandad and his sister not being able to pay for there own mothers funeral

My paternal grandmother died 1.1.1930.  Exactly one week earlier on Christmas Day -one of her daughters had a lavish wedding.  Her other daughters were all married or working as were her 2 sons.  She is buried in a paupers grave

In 1919 - one of my great aunts was the proprietor of a grocers shop.  She died in a road accident and her son and daughter placed an obituary in the local press giving the time and date of her funeral and saying "everybody welcome"

She had a public burial