Author Topic: Cirencester Red Cross Hospital  (Read 1385 times)

Offline RoDe

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cirencester Red Cross Hospital
« on: Thursday 29 April 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
I have recently been fortunate in obtaining my grandfathers WW1 Service Record.  Most of the documents are somewhat charred around the edges but at least they survived the WW2 firebombs when other records were completely destroyed.  I know from childhood memory that my grandfather had a bullet wound in his right foot which is confirmed from one of the documents I have been able to download via the Ancestry website. 

Amongst the various documents I have obtained is one which refers to Cirencester Red Cross Hospital dated 1918 where I assume my grandfather was treated so I have been trying to ascertain whether there are any surviving records anywhere relating to this hospital and my grandfathers hospitalisation.  Initially I contacted Gloucestershire Archives. They do not hold any records but suggested I try the British Red Cross Society who say that The British Red Cross Museum and Archives do not hold records of patients but that archives relating to soldiers who served in wars in the 20th Century are held at the Movement's headquarters in Geneva.

So, I have been in contact with the latter who tell me that the ICRC do not keep records of the Red Cross Hospitals but it was the British Red Cross Society which was in charge of such hospitals during WW1.  At the moment therefore it appears that I am at a dead end which I suppose is not unusual with Family History research.

Can anyone help on this subject please?
Regards
Rode :(

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html
Bilston:- Betts/Hughes/Caddick/Wilde

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cirencester Red Cross Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Rode,

You may find this page from Sue Light's website useful, but ultimately depressing.  :-\

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/125.html

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 April 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
There is a plaque on the wall of The Bingham Hall, King Street, Cirencester, that reads:-

"This building was used as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers during The Great War.
It was manned by Gloucestershire Voluntary Aid Detachment No 84 and was open from 10 Dec 1914 to 31 Dec 1918 during which period 1852 cases were treated"

I have seen a picture of it in operation at this time in an "Alan Sutton" type book - a collection of old photographs- called something like "Cirencester at war".

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Google "gloucestershire red cross hospitals" and follow links. Several photographs of Bingham Hall Red Cross Hospital

Offline RoDe

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.  I will follow them up and let you know if I turn anything up.
Regards
Rode
Bilston:- Betts/Hughes/Caddick/Wilde