Author Topic: 1901 census lookup Waterford, Ireland please  (Read 8026 times)

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 census lookup Waterford, Ireland please
« on: Friday 25 March 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
hi all,

I'm stuck at my Grandfather in my searching.  I do have his marriage cert.
He was Patrick Kennedy  (father John , a soldier) &  from the date on marriage cert. he would have been aorund 5 yrs old at census time. From what I know, he was from Waterford county in Ireland then later came to Liverpool where he  fought in WWI and married my Grandmother, Edith.

Anything found is much appreciated.

Pete
Kennedy - Waterford, Ireland

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census lookup Waterford, Ireland please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
bump  ;D

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 06 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Only one Patrick Kennedy son of John is listed on the County Waterford 1901 Census. I'm unable to post a link to the name index from Waterford Library for some reason. Patrick's given age was ten, but a five year differential was not uncommon. To view it you need to order LDS film number 856158 (item 2). They lived in the Townland (village) of Carricknabrone in the District Electoral Division of Gurteen. The townland will be listed alphabetically within the DED.
The film number for the 1911 Census would be 2103730 (item 1).

Happy Hunting

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 March 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply Coolcam,

I'm confused though about the 5 year differential thing. Do you mean the census information was recorded wrongly ?

It's the small details like this which make searching all the more harder, especially for Irish relatives.

Pete 

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 March 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Belatedly, here is the 1901 census link You will find a Patrick age 10, son of John in Carricknabrone, Killaloan Parish. John's occupation is not quoted.
http://locdat.waterfordcountylibrary.ie/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=114013460SF31.301&profile=cen&logout=true&startover=true#focus

What I meant was it's best to treat the given age of some with scepticism. Many Irish people of 100 years ago had little idea of their (or their children's) actual age. If you asked they might reply with a guess which usually was an underestimate.

Censuses are not alone in this, a Civil Birth Certificate might be found giving a date some months after the same individual was Baptised. Also, we have to bear in mind the distrust of the authorities at the time as to what the records might be used for, sometimes bad information was knowingly quoted. There are Irish people born in the 20th century who will tell you they have two birthdays (official and family).

Coolcam

Offline Pete36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link. 

It turns out that I've looked there before , but because of the age discrepency and no address,  I disregarded it.

Do you know if any of the census entries include a street name and house number ?  I notice they do in English census returns for the same period.

I ask because I saw another document recently for Waterford in a post which gave names & profession for addresses.  I found a John Kennedy , plumber , living at 27 Manor Street in Waterford.

Much earlier my mother recalled being taken as a child to her father's family home in Waterford and she mentioned that " Manor " road or street may be relevant. ( Her father was John's son)

If I could see a census return giving address / name / ages ,  it could give me what I need.

Just wondered If you knew...........  I'll approach the LDS soon as I get chance.

Pete

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 March 06 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Someone with knowledge of Waterford would be better placed to answer this. An old street directory might list the householder. The online http://www.familysearch.org catalogue gives a Manor Street, Waterford City being on 1911 census film number 2104102. Manor Hill and Manor Hill Terrace are on film 2104099. The other potential family on the 1901 Carricknabrone census should appear on film 856158, 1911 would be 2103730. To answer the address part (unlike within Waterford City) Carricknabrone is likely a rural area with no road names or house numbers. An address would be; name, Carricknabrone, Co. Waterford.

Alternatively, you could shelve your research for two or three years, by which time hopefully 1901 and 1911 should be online.