Author Topic: Caleb Cotton STEVENS 1842 Winsford Somerset UK  (Read 8097 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caleb Cotton STEVENS 1842 Winsford Somerset UK
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 May 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,
regarding the certificate, I think you are not allowed to post the whole document. If you can just cut and paste the bit for discussion, that is allowed.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 May 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
I attach relevant part of the birth certificate (thanks Heywood)

Offline Tom_Faggus

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Yep! Looks like Cotton alright !!
STEVENS, REED, YEANDLE, CORDING, BOWERING, COWLIN, QUICK, SCHOFIELD, WILLANS, CHILD

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 May 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb
Continuing our chat from my thread on Ivybridge 1841 - I have no idea who William Cotton was, it's purely speculation, he could have been a member of the gentry or a stable boy!
I have just been trying to piece together any possible connections, for example if Mary Stevens was in service and met a William Cotton but have not found any William Cottons and Mary Stevens in the same area in 1841.  Of course they could have met after the census was taken.
I agree that Caleb could have been known under another name when he was growing up, however he was called Stevens in 1868 when he married (incidentally his father was shown as William Stevens on the marriage certificate which complicates matters further)
The Caleb Clatworthy you mention is also on 1881 census, as is Caleb Stevens, so not the same person.
I am helping Caleb's granddaughter (now 97) to try and find who her great-grandparents were, she would love to know the truth.
Caleb's son was also told he had 'cousins' in the Howe family from Winsford and I have been sent details of a marriage in 1844 Winsford of Mary Stevens and Matthew Howe.
I don't think this mystery will be solved without evidence of Caleb in 1851 and 1861.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 May 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Christy

I have been searching madly  ;D

I have followed Mary and Matthew Howe, hoping for some clues ...unfortuantely nothing pops up!

I also followed Ida Annie Stevens (d/o of Caleb and Jane Louisa b 1869) as she was missing from the family in 1881 ..I found her as a granddaughter in the home of John and Jane Sully.  At first I thought that maybe they were the one's that brought Caleb up and that Ida was visiting her "grandparents". I was even more excited when I found John Sully (with first wife Elizabeth) and son CALEB aged 8.
But then I figured out that Jane Louisa Stevens nee Peppin's mother had married John Sully, as there is a stepson by the name of Peppin living with them. So, in actual fact, Ida was the granddaughter of Jane Peppin Sully.

I hope that made sense LOL

Who were the witnesses to Caleb's marriage?

deb

Link to "Ivybridge" thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,455672.msg3174267.html#msg3174267

Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 May 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Have you seen these:

Caleb Cotton
Dec q 1842
Tiverton, Devon
Vol 10 pg 257

Caleb Stevens
dec q 1842
Tiverton, Devon
vol 10 pg 257

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb
Yes I have seen the two entries for Cotton/Stevens.
I did not include this to avoid further confusion but the John and Jane Sully you found were my g-g-grandparents.  Caleb's wife Jane Louisa was the daughter of Jane Peppin and her first husband John.  Jane Peppin (nee Venn) married John Sully in 1854.
Caleb Sully was John Sully's son by his first wife Elizabeth Ware. 
My great-grandfather Walter Sully (John's son) was also married to a Stevens (Clara) but I have not found a connection to Caleb's side of the family.

Witnesses to Caleb's marriage were John Sully (presumably my g-g-grandfather) and Emma Shepherd Dyer.  It appears that Emma was the wife of accountant Frederick Dyer, they were married at Taunton in 1852.  Emma and Frederick were living in Taunton in 1861.

What a tangled web this family is! 

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Christy

;D

I hope we can untangle the web for Caleb's granddaughter! Does she remember any other surnames at all? Do you have any contact with the Howe family? There has to be a clue somewhere.

I was wondering if Caleb named any of his children after the people who brought him up! Unfortunately their names do not give us any clues at the moment.

I will keep on searching! I wonder if he went to Wales? ...One of the Howe children (his half sibling) landed up there!

deb

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 May 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think Caleb's granddaughter knows any other surnames, she says when she was growing up in West Somerset her parents told her that Caleb was illegitimate and brought up by a 'good' family but no more details.  What a shame her parents didn't tell her everything.

I just can't understand if Caleb was brought up with another name he went back to his birthname.
It doesn't make sense.

He would have served an apprenticeship as a harness maker/saddler, but where?

And where is Tom_Faggus?  He may have the answers but he's disappeared!

Just to change the subject, I see you are researching Penfolds (travellers) in Devon.  I know there were/are many Romany families called Penfold, any connections with Somerset?

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me with this but I don't want to take up all your time!