Author Topic: places in the countyof Roscommon  (Read 15638 times)

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
places in the countyof Roscommon
« on: Friday 30 April 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am re searching my Irish family history and i have purchased a Roman catholic marriage record for my great grand parents that took place in the catholic parish of Kilbride in the county of Roscommon in 1868.
On the church marrige record it did not say at which church or the  actual place in which the marrige took place.
What i would like to know is there a place called Kilbride,and what would be the name of the actual church and the place the marriage took place.Also would the marriage be registered at a civil registration office..
I have found some info on a web site that said Kilbride is now called Fourmile house but i am not sure. Or is Fourmilehouse an actual building? or a place.
I have difficulty understanding the way the Irish places are all linked ie civil parishes, catholic parishes,districts, townlands,Baronies.
I hope some one can help
Many thanks
John Duffy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: places in the countyof Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 April 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Full civil registration started in Ireland in 1864, so there should be a marriage cert which will usually give more details than a parish transcript - see : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on searches, ordering certs etc

The familysearch website which contains the BMD index is undergoing maintenance, so the searches are not reliable at the moment.

I presume the record you have is from the IFHF website ?

The RC parish of Kilbride seems to correspond to the civil parish of the same name and includes a number of townlands - see the Irish Times listing for the parish at : Kilbride Townlands

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 April 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
It looks like the town of Four Mile House is the centre of the RC parish of Kilbride and probably where the parish church was located. The index of RC records at the National library lists the parish as 'Kilbride (Fourmilehouse)'.

Four Mile House is about 9km north of Roscommon town, see google map : Roscommon to Four Mile House

The RC Church in the town is briefly mentioned at this link http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/Places/kilbride/kilbride.htm

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 April 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
I went to Kilbride in 2003 and drove up and down the main road because I couldn't find a town, just a church with a carpark,  which was full to overflowing because I had hit upon the very day the bishop was holding confirmations. Later that day I asked the parish priest where the town was and he said there was no town. The church was used by all the scattered farmsteads roundabout. It was built in 1838 by a kind benefactor and before that the people met in the fields for Mass. It's quite near Strokestown, where the murder of Major Mahon took place and you drive along by desolate looking peat fields bye claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
thanks claytonbradley... I was wondering why I couldn't see any sign of a village or town at the location on the old OSI or more recent maps.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 May 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
 There are 2 graveyards, both quite a way away from the church, as seems to be usual in Ireland, but they have a list at the church of memorial inscriptions for the older one. I didn't find any names I was looking for, but they were very poor, so I wasn't expecting any. They also have some school records, but a bit later in date. The church  is called St Brigid and the priest, Fr Browne, did say that a history of the church was planned, but I don't know if it came to fruition.bye, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 May 10 01:34 BST (UK) »
John Duffy wrote “I have difficulty understanding the way the Irish places are all linked ie civil parishes, Catholic parishes,districts, townlands,Baronies”.

For maps and explanation of terms used in Irish research visit
Liam Byrne’s free Roscommon History website

http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Notes.pdf and

To find the Catholic parish and DED for all townlands in County Roscommon visit:
http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf

Free County Leitrim and County Roscommon source material available online:
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 May 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
I have difficulty understanding the way the Irish places are all linked ie civil parishes, catholic parishes,districts, townlands,Baronies.

Have a look at ROSCOMMON RESOURCES & LINKS at the top of this board for information on townlands, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 May 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks Shane for the info.
I can't find any civil registration of there marriage in the Kibride parish on the family search BMD index as you say they are not reliable at the moment.
On the point about Fourmile house place do you or any one else know the name of the Roman Catholic church at Fourmile house i still dont't know its name.
Even if the marrige took place in a Catholic church would it still registered at a civil registered office.
Many thanks
Best wishes
John Duffy