Author Topic: Hanly in Sligo  (Read 8526 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hanly in Sligo
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 February 12 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teodoro

Many thanks for this information. I had traced John Hanly and his children but lost track of most of them - fascinating that two of them ended in Turkey and will certainly explain why I could find no record of Baron Henry beyond the census in 1861. I did not know of John Laffan Hanly as he does not appear with the family in any of the censuses - does his second name of Laffan have any relevance to Jane Hanly's maiden name?

I started researching John Hanly and his family because of the various co-incidences in names, birthplaces and occupations between Michael Hanly and John Hanly.  I have since had some more word of mouth evidence tHat Michael Hanly's first wife was probably an Ellen Cahill - which fits with the links between the family on the various censuses - but I still have no doccumentary evidence for it.

Laurence Cahill's wife appears to have been an Ellen Hanly but again I have found no link to John Hanly and his family.  Any pooling of information to see if there is a connection would be really great.

Kind regards

Sarenid

Offline Teodoro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 February 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, 

John is on the 1841 census along with John senior and daughters Jane, and Julia. They are living in Chorlton-on Medlock, Manchester.  The wife, Jane, isn't shown.

I don’t know Jane’s middle name so not sure if it’s Laffan.

John could be a twin of Jane as they are both aged 5.  There is also a Bridget Hanly who is 80 years old living with the family; perhaps she was John's mother?

Is it possible your Michael was John’s brother?  Of course they may not be related but the coincidences are pretty compelling.

Naomi Hanly (born about 1843 in Manchester) – daughter of John and Jane also married a journalist, Robert Maddocks Hayley in Lambeth, May 1863.

I will keep digging around and see what I can find.

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 February 12 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Probably easier if I pm you with my email address and then we can communicate directly.

regards Sarenid

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 February 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Tried to PM you but said I was blocked possibly because you need 3 posts to use PM system.  Perhaps you can post once more and then I will try again with the PM.

Regards

Sarenid

Offline Teodoro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 12 05:51 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this so just noted that three posts are required for PM. So this should suffice.

Just for information my 2 x great grandmother, Jane H. Hanly (b abt 1835 in Dublin) was
married to John Davison on 28 January 1856 at the Parish Church of St Paul in Bermondsey,
Surrey.  No occupation given for Jane, her age shown as 20 and her father's occupation was  "Newspaper Reporter.  John Davison was a "gunmaker" who went on to join the Royal
Fusiliers as an "Armoury Sergeant".  Jane must have died relatively young as John Davison remarried in 1864., a Maltese girl.   I  have not found Jane's death recorded in the GRO and it may well have been overseas.

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 February 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teodoro

Tried again to PM you but it just kept coming up as: User 'Teodoro' has blocked your personal message.  Not sure what you or I need to do to access the system.

Regards
Sarenid

Offline frank R

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 10:18 GMT (UK) »