Author Topic: Smalley Family  (Read 20114 times)

Offline loessperson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smalley Family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello :) I'm loessperson jr, posting on behalf of my father. This is the photograph of Riley Smalley with his wife (who may be called Clara Critchley.)

Please feel free to grab this pic for your files if you wish.

Cheers,

lp jr

Offline jeffrey4kids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 December 10 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Fantastic picture!  Thanks very much.  Riley was married to Isabella Eccles b.28/03/1849 Blackburn d.23/02/1928 7 Infirmary Rd Blackburn.
Clara Critchley was Riley's son Thomas's wife 1878 - 1950
I forgot to add my email - it's gkjeffrey@ntlworld.com
Thanks again
Gill

Offline loessperson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 15:09 GMT (UK) »
A few more thoughts on Riley 1850-1930. (I have heard that) on his death in 1930 three of the sons took over the family mill.  But these were hard times and the depression was causing problems for everyone.  People were surprised that the Smalley mill kept on paying out wages and keeping people on. It turned out that the three brothers were using their savings to pay the workers. When the workers heard this they tried to return their wages.. Ive no idea of the outcome of this story and it may be an urban(Blackburn) myth. But I like to think thsat it might be true.

Offline jeffrey4kids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 December 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I would love to think it is true.  My Grandmother, Joseph's duaghter never spoke of her family apart from to say that we should be very proud to be a member of it.  She only spoke of being May Queen of Blackburn and having London designers make her dresses and top photographers to take the photos.  Unitl 14 years ago I had a solid gold brooch which was presented to her in 1921 when she was Temperance Queen in the May Day celeberations, it was engraved on the back with her name and on the front was inscribed with Blackburn Band of Hope League.  It was a pretty thing that I wore on several occasions, but burglers took it during one of 2 break ins.  I still have the official photo and newspaper article.  My Grandma was certainly one on her own!

Offline loessperson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 05 February 11 16:53 GMT (UK) »
My cousin in Australia (Isabel, daughter of Riley) tells me that the workers at the Smalley mill used to refer to it as 'Old Mother Redcap' which seems a strange name for a cotton mill. Sometime after closure, she says, it was taken over by Bruce Critchley (these Critchleys do seem to have a role to play). Isabel tries to contact Beryl- daughter of David, Rileys brother- but links have been severed (by time and chance)... I  think Beryl became Beryl Hunter- used to live in Sherbourne Road, Blackpool.
Ive been looking at some docs related to Edith Frost who died 22 June 1983. She did not make a will so everything divided amongst relatives. Some to Clara Smalley descendents (because she was a Critchley I guess) some to James Critchleys descendents, some to Bruce Critchleys descendents; and the Whipps and Hansfords get a mention- I remember various Whipps and Hansfords.

Offline jeffrey4kids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 February 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting as there is a pub in Blackburn called Ol' Mother Redcap it is situated on the main road between Blackburn and Accrington just past an area called Intack.  I was waiting for a reply about sending the family tree, but I will just send them.
Thanks for the new information.
Take care.
Gill

Offline loessperson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
About the family trees- we would of course be delighted to see them. I did send a reply but I think it went via Face book and may have missed you. We are intrigued at the moment by Nova Scotia; we see pictures of Nova Scotia locks- which I thought were taken in 1909, but turned out to be 2009.  Why did I never hear about Nova Scotia during my relatively short stays in Blackburn (in Southworth Street)- not far from Riley Smallweys house in Infirmary Road?  Its a good job you prompted this interest in Blackburn  -so many things I had no idea about.

Offline Doug Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 February 11 06:25 GMT (UK) »
William Cameron Smalley is my grandfather.  
He married Margaret Alice Cowell.  My mother was their only child, Margaret Cowell Smalley.  She married Christopher Hampton Smith and they settled in Camrose, Alberta following WW II where my father joined the medical practice of his father, Percy Frank Smith and his brother Frank McNeil Smith.  "Peggy" and "Hamp" have four children.  

My grandfather and grandmother retired in Edmonton and then Victoria.  He continued working as a Baptist minister in Edmonton and Victoria well after his retirement.  In the later years they moved to Camrose where both died.  Both are buried in Edmonton.

Excerpts follow:

1. JAMES1 SMALLEY was born 1844 in Haslingden, Lancashire. He married JANET. She was born 1841 in Scotland. Baptist Minister
1881 Census listed occupation as Baptist Minister (without church & proprietor of lands
Address:23 Hoghton St, North Meols, Lancashire
1901 Census:
Age 56
Notes for JANET:
Age 39 in 1881 census and 59 in 1901 census
Children of JAMES SMALLEY and JANET are:
i. MARGARET SMALLEY, b. 1871, Brisol.
Birth date based on age 10 in 1881census
ii. ALICE A. SMALLEY, b. 1872, Gloucester Bristol.
Birth date based on age 8 in 1881 census
School mistress on 1901 census, age 28 on last birthday
iii. JAMES SMALLEY, b. 1875, Ross, Hereford, England.
Birth date based on age 5 in 1881 census
25 on last birthday in 1901 census, joiner cabinet maker
iv. HELENA SMALLEY, b. 1878, Littleborough, Lancashire.
Birth date based on age 2 in 1881 census
1901 census 22 on last birthday, assistand Mistress Infants
2. v. WILLIAM CAMERON SMALLEY, b. December 1880, 40 Burlington Street, Blackburn, Lancashire, England; d. 1972, Camrose, Alberta.
vi. THOMAS R. SMALLEY, b. 1882, Liverpool Lancashire.
1901 census: 18 on last birthday, apprentice joiner
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM CAMERON SMALLEY was born December 1880 in 40 Burlington Street, Blackburn,
Lancashire, England, and died 1972 in Camrose, Alberta. He married MARGARET ALICE COWELL September 04, 1913 in Baptist Church, Montague Street, Blackburn, daughter of JOHN COWELL and CLEMENTINA NALMSLEY.  She was born December 17, 1881 in 47 Nensley Street, Blackburn, Lancashire, England, and died in Camrose, Alberta.
1881 Census says born in Southport and was age 3 months
1901 census says 20 on last birthday, born Southport, Lancashire, assistant shool master
Notes for MARGARET ALICE COWELL:
listed as cotton winder on 1901 census
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM SMALLEY and MARGARET COWELL:
Entry #55 in register book of marriages #185 for the district of Blackburn in the counties of Lancaster and Blackburn CB
Child of WILLIAM SMALLEY and MARGARET COWELL is:
3. i. MARGARET COWELL3 SMALLEY, b. November 25, 1919, Winnipeg, Manitoba; d. April 22, 1994, Camrose, Alberta.
Generation No. 3
3. MARGARET COWELL3 SMALLEY (WILLIAM CAMERON2, JAMES1) was born November 25, 1919 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and died April 22, 1994 in Camrose, Alberta. She married DR. CHRISTOPHER HAMPTON SMITH January 1943 in Edmonton, Alberta, son of PERCY SMITH and ELLA JOHNSON. He was born October 28, 1917 in Camrose, Alberta, and died October 25, 1992 in Camrose, Alberta.
More About MARGARET COWELL SMALLEY:
Burial: April 27, 1994, Camrose, Alberta
More About DR. CHRISTOPHER HAMPTON SMITH:
Burial: October 29, 1992, Camrose, Alberta
Children of MARGARET SMALLEY and CHRISTOPHER SMITH are:
JOAN MARGARET.
DOUGLAS HAMPTON.
PATRICIA LOUISE.
IAN WILLIAM.

William C. Smalley  born in Lancashire, England, 1880, was baptised at Blackburn, England, November 1890. In 1903 he immigrated to Canada: Settling in Calgary and worked as a carpenter. In 1905 he started his ministerial studies at Brandon College, Manitoba; he was a student in pastorates at Shoal Lake and Strathclair, Manitoba. He graduated from Brandon College. He was ordained in 1912, in his church at Shoal Lake. In 1913 he left for England; he returned, newly married to Margaret Cowell , to be minister at Portage la Prairie Church.  
   Dr. Smalley held many positions, apart from being a pastor, during the next 41 years. Some positions were: district secretary for south-western Manitoba, superintendent of Home Missions in Manitoba at Winnipeg, and in 1924 became the minister of Fourth Avenue Baptist Church, Ottawa.
   He travelled much: attended the Congress of the Alliance meetings in Toronto, Berlin, Atlanta, Copenhagen, and London and in Rio de Janeiro. These conferences were in addition to the meetings of the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec and of the United Baptist Convention of the Maritime Provinces.
      In 1929 he became general secretary of B. U. W. C., 1939 a member of the Executive Committee, World Alliance; he also became a life honorary vice- president of B.W.A. He received an honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity, Northern Baptist Seminary, Chicago in 1945. He was an initial supporter of the B.L.T.S., Calgary. In 1951 he retired as general secretary of the B.U.W.C. In 1952 he became the first minister of Highlands Baptist Church; remaining until his retirement in 1954.  However, he also served as president of the Northern Alberta Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society of Canada for two years; served as vice-president in 1960. On December 3, 1972, he passed away in Camrose, at the age of 92.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 February 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Doug
If you make three posts, you can use the PM message system to send the others on this post a personal message. After making the three posts, just use the green scoll just below your name to send personal messages. I am sure the three of you could exchange lots of information and photos using your e-mail addresses.

Personal information such as phone numbers, e-mails and addresses are not to be posted on this site as it can lead to spam and unwanted e-mails.

Valerie.