Author Topic: NICHOLSON Alice  (Read 3917 times)

Offline 30stef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NICHOLSON Alice
« on: Sunday 02 May 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the death of my G Grandmother, Alice Nicholson born 1863 in Hunslet, Leeds. Died I was told in 1924 in Holbeck, Leeds. I cannot find any record of her death. Can anyone suggest any ideas how to find a death certificate. 

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: NICHOLSON Alice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Stef.....

And welcome to Rootschat.....

Was Alice Nicholson her married name, or her maiden name ?

Have you abit more information on her , ie Husband / Children.....

I am sure we will be able to help

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Again....

Is this your Family......

William Arthur Nicholson / head / 1860 / fruiterer
Alice Nicholson / wife / 1863
Florence Nicholson / daughter / 1890
Doris / daughter / 1895
John / son / 1900

1901 . living at 179, Beeston Road

10 years later, living at 18 Noster Hill , Beeston .....

Are you sure Alice died c1924 ? I have found the death of a lady of that name, right age, registered in 1943. In 1937, I have a address of 95 Cemetery Road Holbeck (Electoral Roll ) Mean anything ?

JeannieR

Offline 30stef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannie

Thanks for your reply. Yes that is the correct Alice; John Nicholson was my Grandfather, all the details you have are correct.

I was told that my future Grandmother Jessie Bloodworth, was living in the same house as John and Alice in Noster Hill. When Alice died in 1924, they brought forward the wedding and were married in January 1925.

However, I can find no records of her death in 1924 (or '23). There is only my Uncle (born 1928) living now to ask. Where do I check the electoral roll as 95 Cemetery Road, would be the right area.

Stef

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 May 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
I was told that my future Grandmother Jessie Bloodworth, was living in the same house as John and Alice in Noster Hill. When Alice died in 1924, they brought forward the wedding and were married in January 1925.

However, I can find no records of her death in 1924 (or '23). There is only my Uncle (born 1928) living now to ask

Never assume what family tell you is correct, I would widen the search for her death .
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Stef......

The Electoral Rolls for Leeds and District, can be viewed at The Central Library in Leeds. They are held in the Family History section. The staff there are very helpful, and will probably do a search for you if you telephone them (0113 2478290 ) As a rule, most libraries, do not charge , if the search takes less tha 15 minutes.......

I would suggest, that you do a search upto at least  3 years after  Jessie and John's marriage, although the books were published yearly, the information given , may not be upto date.

Looking at my street map of the area , Noster Hill and Cemetery Road, are so very near to each other, that I would not discount what patrish said. Family stories do sometimes get distorted, and I in particular have found that to be true ! I see that Florence Nicholson remarried in 1940, Could this be the marriage that the family story speaks about, and not John and Jessie ?

Have you 'phoned the Cemetery at Holbeck ? They too may be very helpful. The name Alice Nicholson, was not a common one in the area, and as ahe lived on the doorstep, so to speak, feel this is where she will be resting...

I have the 1937  Register of Electors, and John and Jessie, are living at 185, Green Hill Road , Armley,
James W Gyde, is living at 15, Leopold Street , with Charles Henry Newsum, and Benita Marie Newsum. Alice's brother and wife ?

I have the Leeds Burial CD and Alice is not listed on there.

Hope this helps

JeannieR

Offline 30stef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannie

That's very helpful, thanks a lot, I will try the library on Friday. James Gyde was married to Charles and Beannie's daughter, Dorothy; when she died her then married Flo in 1940 as you say. My grandparents, John and Jessie Nicholson lived at 185 Greenhill Road with my mother Joy and Uncle Michael.

Sorry, to pester you again, but on the 1937 Electoral Roll, does it mention anyone else living at Cemetery Road with Alice Nicholson in 1937. The Hargreaves lived on Cemetery Road earlier in 1901 and I have a photo of my mother, who died last year, aged about 17 (early 1940s) with three women two of whom are Blanche and Nora Hargreaves!

Thanks once again. Stef

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stef......

Living at that address with Alice Nicholson, were David Howie and John Thwaite....

If you let me know the name of your Hargreaves, I will look them up for you. They will not be found, if they are under 21 years old......

I have just found the burial. of a Alice Nicholson , which took place December 21 1942 at Hunslet cemetery age 77. I have access to all the census, so will do a double check on this lady for you.

I did wonder if Alice could have remarried ? William died in 1917 , I think. Just a thought...

Jeannie

Offline 30stef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is all very confusing, I am on Ancestry and have just found the 1942 death you mention, if this is my Alice, she cannot have remarried.

I just cannot understand why my mother thought she had died in 1924, she was born in 1926 and my uncle in 1928 yet they never knew her and I have her locket (I have a photo of her wearing it).

The Hargreaves were Benita (married Charles Newsum and died 1935), Blanche who was in Hunslet in 1901 and died in Scarborough in 1953 and Nora, in Harrogate in 1901 (visitor) and died 1951 in Scarborough.

Not heard of David Howie or John Thwaite, does it give their ages or occupations etc.

Thanks once again. Stef