Author Topic: What is a Garrison Battalion anyway?  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
What is a Garrison Battalion anyway?
« on: Sunday 02 May 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Please excuse my military ignorance  ???

I am researching a man who died on 18th September 1918 and is buried in the Suez War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt. He was enlisted into the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and I have seen online that during the First World War it raised 30 battalions. My man was in the 1st Garrison Battalion which was formed at Weymouth in August 1915 and moved to Egypt.

I have two questions which I hope some kind person could help with:

1) What is the distinction of a 'Garrison' Battalion as opposed to an 'ordinary' one?

2) Would there be any way of finding what the battalion was doing there at that time, other than going to Kew as I will not be able to get there for a couple of months?

Needless to say his service records have not survived, but his medal card shows that he recived the British War Medal and the Victoria Victory Medal.

All help appreciated!

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Garrison Battalion anyway?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
 Garrison battalions were raised from men too old/young/unfit for full military service. They literally garrisoned areas, leaving regular battalions free to fight. Egypt was a popular posting for them
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Jamaine
I think you will find that it is a Victory, not Victoria Medal.

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 10 07:02 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that it is a Victory, not Victoria Medal.

Ahh... That comes from often typing my daughter's name...

Well spotted  :D
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
Garrison battalions were raised from men too old/young/unfit for full military service.

Thank you gortonboy, I guess that since this man was aged 21 he falls into the latter category...