Author Topic: Tips for searching Irish BMD civil registrations  (Read 71297 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for searching Irish BMD civil registrations
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 March 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
sandiego
I won't be looking at those years 1872-1877 in the GRO for some months (one has to pay a small sum for each 5 years).
However I looked at the microfilms today for 1872/73/74 in the Dublin city Library. Would you believe - they didn't film the  at sea, abroad, army births!!
though I'm sure they're in the back of the actual books ..

I suggest you put a request on the Ireland Board .. something like ...
"GRO Lookup please 1872-1877 .. army etc births"
say that you've already looked at the ordinary indexes, and would someone please look at the back of each year

regards eadaoin

Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline sandiego04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 26 March 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne and eadaoin!  You have both been most helpful. :)

Offline sooty24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 02 May 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
The Births Deaths and Marriages for Ireland on familysearch.org pilot have been updated to include mother's maiden name for births. which is wonderful as it really narrows the search. The last update was 27th of April 2010

Sooty24

Offline sooty24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family Search Website
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 May 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
Take a look at the familysearch.org pilot BDM for Ireland. It has been updated recently and now includes the maiden name of mother on birth certs. Its great

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 May 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
For the first time I can now type in a father and a mother and pull up a list of children.  It doesn't work for all couples and it doesn't find all children, but *if* there is data there it is hugely helpful when I want to start constructing a family group sheet.

Prior to that I would go to Advanced Search, type in the father's name and the mother's name, then start randomly guessing children's names.  That method has actually found me several people, but I felt like a fool doing it.

In addition, I see there is more granularity in specifying location.  I can't tell you how GREAT that is!  I can now narrow my search in a registration subdistrict within a PLU.  Skibbereen is a HUGE place!   :P

I was at a local FHC yesterday and told one of the ladies there working on the indexing what I am actually able to do now.  I think it made her feel good.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 04 June 10 07:55 BST (UK) »
Following the guidelines posted I have located 7 births which I hadn't been able to locate before.

I do find it a bit misleading as when I click on Ireland Births, 1864-1881, it takes me to a search page claiming
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881.

I haven't located any Births before 1864 on the names I've searched for.

Mick

P.S. I haven't yet been able to bring up all 7 results in one search. 5 is the best so far.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 04 June 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links, hints and tips - I'm going to give them all a go in my Irish quest. Some day, on some site I might get a positive result ....

Offline MariaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 14 April 11 01:33 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find my way around in the familysearch site by using the T&E method (trial and error  ;D) and seem to get better at it. What puzzles me though is when I have positively  identified the birth of a female and then want to look up her marriage date and husband, I never know whether to use her maiden name or not.
Are the marriages registered for a woman under her new name or her maiden name?
If Miss Jane Smith married a Joe Soap, do I look for Jane Soap or Jane Smith to find her marriage registration?

2nd question; if there is just a reference to a marriage in the above case (no husband's name, no mother's maiden name etc), would I get further details from the original record? It does not seem to make sense when a marriage is indexed but the spouse is not listed.

3rd question; when a mother's name is listed in a birth registration, it is sometimes a double name, one of the father & husband, the other one is - I assume - her maiden name. Is there an order in the indexing of these double names? \His name first and then hers or vice versa?

Maria B

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 14 April 11 08:01 BST (UK) »
1) bride's are recorded and indexed in marriage records under their maiden surname

2) to see the full details of a marriage you need to order a cert from the GRO - see : Details included on a Marriage Cert and Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

To find a possible marriage, search for the bride and groom in the index separately and then check for reference cross-matches. The details that must match for a possible marriage are : year/quarter, registration district, volume & page

3) Births are indexed under the child's name. Births in the index from the late 1920s (Republic of Ireland only), include the mother's maiden surname. A birth cert will show the full details :  Details included on a Birth Cert

see also :

Introduction to Irish Records
 My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests