Author Topic: Gallagher from Leitrim  (Read 4302 times)

Offline barbinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gallagher from Leitrim
« on: Saturday 26 March 05 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone point me in the right direction?  ???
I've just found out that my 2nd gt Grandad came from Leitrim. All I know about his is his name was HUGH GALLAGHER b 1833 he left Ireland before July 1854 as that was when  he married  CATHERINE HAGGART in Birmingham. His father's name was Michael & both were labourers. Catherine came from ROSCOMMON
Hugh & Catherine lived the rest of their lives in Brum where Hugh died of Chronic Bronchitis in 1879. They had at least 8 children.
Thank you  ;D
Barbara ;D
Husband's side:  Rosethorne or similar spelling anywhere anytime!
Ovington, Taylor, Wilkin, Summers, Stones, Charlton in Durham
Wilkinson in Penrith Cumberland
My Family:  Turner, Jones, Gallagher in Aston Birmingham
Shipp & Fellows in Birmingham
Elwell & Caddick in Tipton Staffs.
Allen in Shenington Oxfordshire
Batchelor in Kenilworth Warks
Hubbard in Rowington Warks

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher from Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,
I can't prove a connection to your Gallaghers but I'm sure there must be one. I am working on a Gallagher family for a friend and they seem to have the same family names as your line so am hoping we can link up somewhere along the line.

All we have at present is a Thomas Gallagher who married Ann Duffy in 1853 in Edinburgh, both came from Co.Leitrim. Thomas was born in 1833 and Ann in 1836.Thomas was a labourer.
They had 6 children...James 13.7.1857, John 3.1.1859, Mary Ann 26.4.1861, Michael 11.9.1863, Thomas 12.11.1865 and Hugh 1870, all born in Edinburgh apart from Michael who seems to have been born in Glasgow, at least he was christened there.
In 1881 they are in Manchester minus Thomas the father, we don't know yet whether he died in Scotland or England. The family stayed in Manchester as far as we have been able to trace them.
I don't know whether it links or not but in the 1871 census for Edinburgh there is a Thomas and Catherine Gallagher, aged 66 and 60, living in the same street as Thomas and Ann. They could have been the parents of Thomas but we have yet to prove it.
Does any of this ring any bells with you? You can contact me directly on (*) if you are interested and I can then send copies of everything to Sheila (the friend who is descended from the Thomas born 1865).
Pat (Fallon)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php